Thread: Uv2?

Threaded View

You have asked a thorny question and I am not sure how you can get an answer that will actually help you.

Since humans cannot see into the UV spectrums of colors, we cannot see the actual UV color of UV materials on the fly or the naturals. We cannot see the UV reflectivity of the current materials that we use that are not marketed as "UV". Therefore, we have no way to match UV to the natural as we can with the visible spectrum.

We have not way to tell which UV material to use and whether it will make a fly pattern more effective, less effective or have no effect at all. It become a trial and error experiment.

How would you choose which UV material to buy, and what would be the logical reason for that choice? If I said that helped me catch more fish, how would you know that the effect was real? If it was real, how would you know that the effect was not pattern specific and would work on the patterns you would use it on.

The opposite possibility is that someone says it does not help. How would you know that it would increase the effectiveness of the patterns that you would use it on? It might be just the thing your pattern is missing to be a super fly.

I think the best way is to try it yourself.

I think any advantage of UV materials is that they act as attractants, just like the peacock herl and red floss on a Royal Wulff.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 01-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy