+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uv2?

Hybrid View

Default Uv2?

This is not a scientific question about the how-to's and why-for's of the qualities of the UV2 enhanced materials, just a practical question. For those of you who have been tying with them, have you seen any increase in strikes? I need to refill my basic fly boxes and am thinking about using the UV2 enhanced materials.
    Thanks,
    Joe

You have asked a thorny question and I am not sure how you can get an answer that will actually help you.

Since humans cannot see into the UV spectrums of colors, we cannot see the actual UV color of UV materials on the fly or the naturals. We cannot see the UV reflectivity of the current materials that we use that are not marketed as "UV". Therefore, we have no way to match UV to the natural as we can with the visible spectrum.

We have not way to tell which UV material to use and whether it will make a fly pattern more effective, less effective or have no effect at all. It become a trial and error experiment.

How would you choose which UV material to buy, and what would be the logical reason for that choice? If I said that helped me catch more fish, how would you know that the effect was real? If it was real, how would you know that the effect was not pattern specific and would work on the patterns you would use it on.

The opposite possibility is that someone says it does not help. How would you know that it would increase the effectiveness of the patterns that you would use it on? It might be just the thing your pattern is missing to be a super fly.

I think the best way is to try it yourself.

I think any advantage of UV materials is that they act as attractants, just like the peacock herl and red floss on a Royal Wulff.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 01-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

All I am going to say is that I have been tying with a lot of UV2 products over the last year and a half. IMHO the answer is yes and it isn't just me...Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon Flies has been using the UV2 materials in many of his standard patterns since Spirit River first came out with these products and he likes them...this is his 2014 catalog:

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/sho...y/2014_catalog

...and this is a Scud pattern I just completed (along with a bunch of others) that uses UV2:

UV2 DEAD ON SCUD (Orange)...
    HOOK: Daiichi 1250, #14 -#18
    THREAD: Under Abdomen, Veevus 16/0, White - Head Lagartun 74 Denier, Amber
    WEIGHT: .010 lead, 8 - 10 wraps
    TAIL: UV2 Strung Saddle Fibers, Fl. Orange
    ABDOMEN: 50/50 Mix Ice Dub UV Hot Orange - UV2 Scud Shrimp Fl. Orange
    UNDER BACK: Orange Flashabou, Hedron
    BACK: Stretch Flex, 1/8″, Clear

Materials...

A batch of DEAD ONs...

I don't tie 'em for exercise...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 01-04-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I bought a few packages and tyed a few flies but I hve not fished them yet so I can't answer your initial question. Saying that I shined my UV light on them and I was able to determine that what makes the material UV reflective is strands of red, blue and a few other colors in the mix. So IMO you could conceivably make your own by taking a favorite dubbing material and add some strands of florescent threads and accomplish the same thing.
    There are basically two types of UV, absorption and reflective and they are going for the reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    All I am going to say is that I have been tying with a lot of UV2 products over the last year and a half. IMHO the answer is yes and it isn't just me...Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon Flies has been using the UV2 materials in many of his standard patterns since Spirit River first came out with these products

I don't tie 'em for exercise...

PT/TB
    Planetrout,

I notice the UV2 product says fluorescent orange on it. So we've had fluorescent products before and fluorescence (UVF) is not reflectance (UVR). Fluorescence we can see since it is an invisible UV photon absorbed and re-emittied as a visible color.

So how do you or I know that it is not fluorescence that attracts the fish since these flies will "glow" a brighter color because UV penetrates further down into the water column where non UV colors are drab.

Furthermore, you can match the UVF emitted color to a natural but you cannot match UV reflectance that we cannot see. That is the UV Reflectance (UVR) conundrum. If they are saying that UVR works based on a product that also UVFs, that is junk science since we already know that UVF attracts fish.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 01-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Don't we need someone to say they have fished a ton with nonUV flies and then say they fished a ton with identical flies but with UV product .....then what the result was?
    Actually I think hap did just that in a similar thread some time ago. Maybe he will chim in.

Something I've been wondering ...and the materials are listed above....Is the Ice dub UV the same as Spirit River UV2?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Don't we need someone to say they have fished a ton with nonUV flies and then say they fished a ton with identical flies but with UV product .....then what the result was?
    Actually I think hap did just that in a similar thread some time ago. Maybe he will chim in.

Something I've been wondering ...and the materials are listed above....Is the Ice dub UV the same as Spirit River UV2?
    They are not the same. Ice dub is strictly synthetic, course material. UV2 dub has what appears to have rabbit in it. It i very easy to dub.

+ Reply to Thread