Thread: Uv2?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    Thereis a great book written by Reed Curry on UV, if you are interested or skepticalin the subject I suggest you read the book. Very scientific with documentationbut easy to read. The New Scientific Angler.
    UV light pic.jpg

I have this book and found it very informative. I had to read it twice though, because what I perceive is still not what a fish perceives.
    The author uses digital photography techniques to capture UV images of material and then uses digital techniques to transform the images into something we can see. At least we can understand the UV portions of bugs and materials.

Many natural materials have UV properties, and the clearest example is the fur of actic creatures. Apparently snow reflects UV @85%. So does the fur of polar bear, arctic hare, and arctic fox - even though they are white, they also need to match the UV reflective qualities of their background in order to avoid detection.

As well, several feathers show an enhanced UV pattern, and on a bird covered with feathers there would be an overall UV pattern (my interpretation) ? good for mating. Mayfly wings also show UV patterns by species.

According to the book, the following feathers reflect UV: white, light dun or grizzly cock neck, barred turkey, the lighter glossier portion of a white or gray duck quill (like we use in feather wing slips), white goose biot, white bucktail (duh, no wonder the raised flag is such a good warning to other deer - if they can see it).

A second suggestion in the book is that a fly is particularly successful if it contains both UV reflective material and UV absorbing material (particularly dark brown and black). Thus the fish sees a bug go by that is 'UV bright' (we have no word for this since we can't see UV) and also has parts that are a 'UV black hole' - can you say "Prince's Nymph"? This stands out against the normal watery background much better apparently.

So, historical fly tiers stumbled on the best materials years ago. To get back to the initial thread, just put a gray duck quill wingcase on your
    PTN or add a few grizzly legs. My $0.02 anyway.
    Last edited by Greg H; 01-05-2014 at 02:59 PM.