Thread: spinner wings

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by john52948 View Post
    most, if not all of the spinner imitations i see have a white wing of hackle tips, poly yarn, organza, hair, and probaly a bunch more different materials that i have missed.

since we are trying to imitate the clear wings of an insect, why do we use white, wouldnt a light blue dun coloration of the wings be more appropriate.

Regarding the color of the wings. Spinner wings are translucent so the color of the sky, clouds, foliage which is see through the wing is just as important, I would think, as the slight shading of the translucent wing itself.

Whenever an object is ON the surface of the water OUTSIDE the trout's window, it depresses and tilts the water surface, breaking the mirror effect so the fish can detect the SIZE & SHAPE of the impression, which is the spinner body and wing. This is what catches the attention of the trout first before it can see the spinner in the window. My view is that just as in duns, it is SIZE and SHAPE that trumps a bit of color difference especially when the wings are translucent. I believe that is why all manner of spinner wings work as long as they meet the size/shape criteria.

Another property of spinner wings is that they are reflective. They have a sheen and that is why twinkle organza fibers work so well as spinner wings fro insects with clear spinner wings. I believe that this reflective quality is a trigger and when you can use a material that actually enhances this property, it stands out amongst the naturals and acts as a "super trigger."

http://www.garyborger.com/2011/05/31...-hendrickson2/

Notice the sheen and specular reflections of the translucent shucks left behind by emerging mayflies in the image below.

Last edited by Silver Creek; 01-04-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy