+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Zealand Strike Indicator

Hybrid View

Default New Zealand Strike Indicator

Does anyone have experience with the New Zealand Strike Indicator? Looks like it would b great, but there has to be some down side to it, doesn't there?

Blog Entries

Glad you asked that, I too am wondering about those. I have watched a couple videos about them, and I think the way they attach to the leader is great, should be virtually no kinking which is my only complaint about bubble type and the original yarn and foam type that attached with the 'O' ring method. I stopped using yarn type strike indicators many years ago for two reasons: (1) Too much wind resistance; (2) They sink way too fast. So I tried the foam type that worked the same as yarn but they had the same two problems, while they wouldn't sink they were very low in the water. Then I went to the twist on foam types but many of them just kept coming off so I ended up with the bubble type but they really kink the leader and as you adjust to different depths the kinks really become obvious. So, are there any NZ users out there? But I do fear that they will still have too much wind resistance and I suspect they will require a lot of floatant material on them as they become water logged. Larry ---sagefisher---

I like yarn type indicators and have used the NZ method. The pluses of this system is the ease of attaching and adjusting the depth and controlling the size of the indicator. Otherwise it performs like other yarn indicators as far as flotation and air resistance are concerned. I found no appreciable difference using the wool material over using polypro, and poly is a .heck of a lot cheaper. I use small sections of plastic tubing, IV tubing works great if you have access to some. As far as the insertion tool is concerned, I have not found it needed ( just fold the leader and push it thru the tubing, put the poly in the leader loop and pull the yarn into the tubing. I like it!

I am always in the market for a new indicator. While this looks simple wouldn't it kink the leader? Some guides tie a small water balloon filled with a small puff of air to their leader. They tie off the balloon with an over hand knot on to the leader. They claim it does not kink leader

NZ style is always the way to go! Actualy I usually use a dry fly as an indicator, but the NZ style indicator is a good way to go, you can adjust it easily, it does not kink the line as much as some and if you use very small tubes and a small pinch of yarn it has little resistance in casting. Of course the smaller you go the less float ability you have.
    All the best.
    Mike

I have tried EVERYTHING in the way of indicators and found they all have downsides EXCEPT the NZ indicators. Just absolutely love them. Easy to put on , adjust and take off. I have not noticed any waterlogging or kinking...seem to float all day log and don't seem to spook the "chubs" as much as others. Wouldn't have any others on the river...IMHO.
    Bernie

+ Reply to Thread