+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabelas 3 pc 3wt

Default Cabelas 3 pc 3wt

I searched the archives for this, but couldn't find an answer:

Does anyone know where I can get either the blank or a kit for this very nice 3 pc 3wt? I know I can buy it completed for $50, but I want to buy a kit so my son can try his hand at building a rod and then have a nice panfish rod when finished.

Thanks.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

SonOfMartin;
    Have you tried Hook & Hackle? I don't know if he has a 3 pc. But he has a sale on right now. [url=http://www.hookhack.com:315c6]www.hookhack.com[/url:315c6]
    I prefer the 4 pc kits as they easier to handle and seem to build faster as there are no guides on the butt section. Glue up the seat & handle then start wraping guides.

I have gotten flamed on this before,but in my opinion the cabela's rod is not worth owning.
    I also recommend the H&H rod.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I own the little 3pc 3wt and truly enjoy it for panfish. Since my investment in it is only $40 (I bought it several years ago), I tend to carry it in the car all summer long. I use an O-L-D fly line and don't worry about abusing either the line or the rod. It's handled thousands of panfish and more than a few bass and never have I had a problem. Sure it doesn't perform as well as my St. Croix or Other "big name" rods, but when I'm driving home and pass a farm pond with dimples on the surface, I'm sure glad I have it in the car!
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

I bought the cabela's outfit because I wanted the reel for another rod. When I priced every thing out the 7'6" 3wt was only an extra $19 dollars. What a deal.

I'm not a gear snob. I have many inexpensive rods. I take the cabela's 3wt out at least once a year mostly because I know others speak highly of the rod and I want to be proved wrong, but I just don't care for it.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I assume you are speaking of the Three Forks rod. I have never tried to find out if the blanks only were available but I have read (perhaps here) on rod building boards that the finished rods is all Cabela's will sell.
    Three Forks rods are fantastic for the money. It seems like every spring they put them on sale for $40.
    I gave mine to a friend that wanted to try fly fishing..while trying to teach him to cast with the rod I knew I had made a mistake.
    Next spring I gotta replace it.

7. Default

SOM - I bought that outfit as my first light gear and loved it. I've since built more specialized rods, but that rod still goes in the truck as either a small stream backup or a loaner.

Through a quirk of fate, I mounted a reel with 2wt line on it a couple years ago, and it handles that just fine.

I doubt you'll fish with it for years, but especially on sale, it's worth the money to me - even if only in the backup role.
    Don

+ Reply to Thread