+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Todays flies

Default Todays flies

I first tied this soft hackle fly following a you tube video. It didn't turn out the best.

20140102_142038.jpg

I then wanted to tie something else but didn't know what and I have very limited supplies. So I finally made up this fly.

20140102_141245.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by tjulian View Post
    I then wanted to tie something else but didn't know what and I have very limited supplies.
    What came with your tying kit? Looks like you got some peacock. If you have foam (black or brown is best) make some beetles (if you don't have foam, any craft store will carry the 2mm stuff in sheets of all kids of colors; they're pretty easy to tie and bluegills love them. Something like this, although you can skip the hackle:

Regards,
    Scott

Nice ties. Have you joined the FAOL Beginners Swaps? I was in them last year - great experience for a beginner. Lots of valuable info and shipping materials provided free. You pay fly materials and postage. If interested contact: parnellli@comcast.net
    The swaps start this month.

Bob

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Default Re: Beginners Fly Swap

Hi tjulian,

I'm with Bob9 and was in the Beginners Fly Swap last year. Great way to learn to tie several different kinds of flies, and get flies from the other participants. Here is a link to Parnelli's latest post and they are still looking for participants for this year. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?50998-2013-2014-Beginner-s-Only-Fly-Swaps

O
    BTW: Parnelli is one great Swapmeister and will give you lots of reference materials and any help you need along the way. Can't think of a better way to learn to tie.
    Last edited by holensum; 01-03-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Added OBTW
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I first tied this soft hackle fly following a you tube video. It didn't turn out the best.
    Julian,
    I strongly suggest you start here and follow Al Campbell's lessons. I am on a few other boards, and also belong to two clubs in Toronto. In all cases I suggest his series as the best way to learn. I find (unfortunately) that a number of novices jump in and have limited success, either by just following their instincts, or by looking at YouTube (which moves a little fast for good learning). I recommend slowing down and following Al's steps.

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

I have very limited supplies.
    Julian,

I too started out on the beginners fly swap that Bob9 and holensum mentioned and also recommend joining that swap. As for limited supplies, look around your house. there are many items used in your daily life that can be part of fly tying without having to break the bank or running out every other day for more tying supplies. Common items used in fly tying include used dryer sheets (wings, wing cases, body wraps; used flexement or something similar to stiffen if needed), dental floss, string, chip bags cut into strips, christmas tinsel, found feathers, aluminum cans, nail polish, pet fur/hair, dryer lint (depending on what was dried), fishing line (ribbing or bodies) and waterproof markers. The list is limitless almost anything your have laying around can be used.

As you gain experience, you will start looking at items in stores differently. Also, you do not have to follow the fly patterns to the letter. If a pattern calls for a specific color or type of material, substitute for something you have and don't be afraid to fish your mistakes or test pieces. While testing floatability of a spun blob of deer hair, bluegills would not leave it alone.

Your flies look great, take them out and see what the fish think, they are the ultimate judges in what they will bite on.

Javier

In addition to checking out Al Campbell's lessons you will amazed a how much you can learn by watching and interacting with experienced tyers. It's the time of year for fly fishing exhibitions to be starting around the country. If you can find one near you plan on attending. Most tyers are happy to answer questions or demonstrate particular techniques more slowly with explanations.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread