The lead that Davie uses comes from golf (so it does have a use), and the strips are cut from a larger piece, its what they use to weight their bats. I use the same for the flies I tie for Virtual nymph. Some tips on using this stuff.

If you are tying several flies of similar size cut the lead with a craft knife (DO NOT use a scalpel, they are made for cutting flesh and will wander as they cut = dangerous) and steel rule on a board or cutting mat. Do not cut all the way through, just cut the lead not the backing paper. Don't try to cut all the way through the lead in one cut, but rather make several scores using less force. Then the backing paper acts as storage for ready cut lengths.

If you cut it length ways you will reduce the amount of waste. This way you will get several flies from one strip, before ending up with a piece that is too short to use. If you cut across you will have the same waste on every fly.

If you are building a shaped profile with the lead, wind it adhesive side outwards. This will make it easier to tie over the shape. This is especially useful if building a shaped under body by lashing the lead along the hook as in the Ammonite Nymph.

When building a profile start with the shortest run of lead and work longer. This way the lead will smooth itself out, saving you the job and miles of thread.

If you are winding the lead and want the end to finish square to the hook shank hold the lead out from the hook shank at the pitch angle you are winding it, then cut it with scissors at 90 degrees to the hook shank. The point you are left with will finish the wrap square. This makes it easier to cover with thread.

To me these tips are simple common sense, but its amazes me that I don't see other people doing the same. Often I wonder if people just do what they have seen others do without any interfearence from original thought!

Cheers,
A.