+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wooly worm

Default wooly worm

20131231_102239-1.jpg

I am trying to learn to tie flies. I tied this yesterday following a video on you tube. I hope the pic works. This is my fourth or fifth fly I've tied. I'm struggling but getting better.

Fish will approve of that fly. Welcome to the forum; hope to see lots more of your stuff.

Regards,
    Scott

Tom, bream will think that looks like candy, put it on a dropper under a floating bug and it will produce until a bass, catfish or carp (or shoreline tree) is successful in taking it away from you.

Welcome to the board, there are some good people here, you will benefit and benefit others. Don't be shy about asking if someone has ever tried something, they usually have.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Looks good. You should join the FAOL Beginners Fly Swaps. They are starting this month. Contact: parnelli@comcast.net

Bob

FISH IT!!! Ultimately, the fish is the final, not to mention only, judge!!!

Hi Julian,
    Sometimse when I respond to newbies efforts with an honest response, people think I am negative - I think they suppose I should just say 'nice effort'. However I seek to help and coach, so please take the following positively.
    The hackle is fine, althoug maybe just a tad too long.
    I am pleased to see that you did not crowd the head of the fly.
    I think the body could be more even from butt to head - but is OK.
    Mainly I would suggest that the back of the fly stop above the barb of the hook, though this one looks good and will catch fish.
    Press on, press on. Good luck, Greg

AlanB Guest

Greg, sir, Thank you, thank you, thank you! There is a culture on bulletin boards (not just here) that disapproves of positive criticism to such an extent that it becomes difficult to help a beginner! Thanks for standing up!

For just your 5th fly that is excellent. There is only one thing I will add to what Greg has said.

Something you might find useful. You don't need to close the scissors to cut with them. If you hold your scissors in your hand, with the joint on your index finger, and thumb on top of the joint, with the tips of the scissors just open in a V shape, you can hold a material under tension in the V and push. That will cut out just the material that is under tension and push aside any not under tension. That is how to trim out really close to the hook shank in crowded areas.

Well done, and keep going. Lets see more.

Cheers,
    A.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Greg and Alan thanks for the info. Like I said I'm learning but still need help. I am basically teaching myself. I have a friend who ties but we can't get together very often. I bought a very cheap kit made by Gunnison last year from Cabelas. Its not the best but its what I could afford and its got me started.

Quote Originally Posted by tjulian View Post
    Attachment 12516

I am trying to learn to tie flies. I tied this yesterday following a video on you tube. I hope the pic works. This is my fourth or fifth fly I've tied. I'm struggling but getting better.
    Hi tjulian,

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you take a look at the Beginning Fly Tying module here at FAOL. It's by the late Al Campbell, a friend and/or correspondent with many here, and it's still the best such series of lessons on the 'net.

And the price is right!

-Steven

+ Reply to Thread