+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 PC "Premium" graphite fly rods?

Tenkara is multi pieces slid in side each other. Just bought 2 Hardy 1 piece unbelievable feel while casting and fishing . I have really enjoyed these rods. Hard to believe the difference you need to go cast one.

If you are going to fish with 2 piece rods you must have proper Rod Carriers

I thought my rocket launcher was formidable, but it is obviously no match for yours.

P.S. Mine holds 3 fully assembled weapons, up to 9 1\2' long.

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    First Rant of 2014:

What ever happened to the demand for 2pc rods of the "premium" sort?
    Airlines charging extra for baggage and disallowing carry-on of cases long enough to hold a 2 piece.

I, too, prefer a 2 piece, but if you plan to fly with a rod, you're probably looking at a 4 (or more) piece.
    Bob

Seriously?

Are we getting bored a bit here?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

This is very strange, because the rest of the fishing world, baitcasting and spinning, are going more and more and more to one-piece rods. Obviously, the small majority (fly fishers) must be right and everyone else must be wrong....
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Interesting essay if you will in Mid Current: http://midcurrent.com/gear/fly-rods-no-more-pieces/
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

There are a wide variety of 2pc blanks available. No reason to go without the rod you want.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    This is very strange, because the rest of the fishing world, baitcasting and spinning, are going more and more and more to one-piece rods. Obviously, the small majority (fly fishers) must be right and everyone else must be wrong....
    I think it's a matter of how we travel and how we use our rods. When my primary target was bass I relied on feel transmitted up the line through the rod to my hand much more than I do with a fly rod. I really didn't want a 2 piece rod and traveled in a vehicle large enough to accommodate my rod and with a boat behind me. I never carried my casting or spinning rods on an airplane. I have carried my fly rods on several trips by airline as the primary mode of transportation. Shoot, I have even taken the air out of my boat and taken it to AZ in my luggage a few times.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I suspect consumer demand, or lack thereof, may have contributed. At the shop I work with people just quit buying mid to high end 2 pc rods. The 4pc rods really started to sell much better after the 9/11 attacks changed the way we travel. Most customers spending on the mid to high end rods had no problem paying the slight up charge for 4 pc rod. They quit buying 3pc rods too.

Also over the last few years as fuel prices rose more anglers here started driving economy cars to local fishing spots instead of their trucks and SUVs. Even on longer range trips to the eastern Sierra many downsized their vehicles. I have a truck and a Toyota Corolla and I started using the car more. A 9ft 2pc rod does not fit into the trunk well. Living in an urban area where there is a segment of the population that likes to go shopping in other people's vehicles, both near by and in the local mountains, many do not like leave their gear or even rod cases in plain view in the vehicle. Rods with 4 or more sections are preferred by many because they fit in a trunk or storage bin.

Today we sell about 10 4pc rods for every 2pc rod even at the budget levels. There is actually more interest in 1 pc rods by many anglers who have boats.

+ Reply to Thread