+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to sand down grip

I know better than to jump in on this, but, I will anyway and please understand that I am not taking any side and do not mean to upset anyone. Lets put aside who said what and who was wrong because neither case will eliminate the problem which is that the "receiver" feels he has a rod that he cannot use due to the cork grip being too large. What needs to be done is provide the "receiver" with a means to turn the grip down which I feel can be easily done by either the builder, another builder or the "receiver". I know that I have purchased factory rods that I felt the grip was too large for my small hand and I just took the rod to a rod builder friend of mine in Tullahoma and he took the butt section and chucked it up in his lathe and used sandpaper/emory cloth and within a matter of miutes, had turned the cork handle down. Unless there is another problem that I am not familiar with, I really do not understand why the builder cannot do the same as the builder here does. He just taped the butt of the rod so his lathe chuck did not make any marks on it and turned the lathe on and sanded the grip down. This only takes a few minutes. This same local builder has built rods for me and he always called me to come over when he was ready to turn down the grip so that I could grip it and let him know when he had it right.

Just my 2 cents worth and nothing more. This whole post has turned into a battle on who was wrong and who was right and the question was how to sand down a grip that was too large.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

It's been handled, Warren. I turned it down for him.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Kevin,

He may not have said, "thank you", but I do. I know there was a lot more to this, but, I do thank you for doing this.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I just came back to my topic and MY GOD all the comments in negative I see.As for a comment on size of grip if a "professional builder" knows his factory rods he or she should know the handles sizes.Like anyone can do go to St Croix site and you can clearly tell the difference.As stated Kevin has turned it down on his lathe and problem solved,and yes many thanks to him.Guess a good investment for builders is a lathe to make quick work.
    And on another note,I hope you are doing well Kevin with your treatments,i know my heart doc wasn't happy with my pulse at 150 when he was trying my nuclear stress test yesterday.Hey when your nervous your nervous.
    Last edited by Thomas; 01-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Ain't no reason to really know how the 1000's of factory rods are built, professional builders build custom rods, not factory clones. That same rod throughout its lifetime has had no less than 3 different grip designs.

Maybe this will be a good lesson for those looking to have a rod built.Explain in Great detail what you want,if you have to take pictures or better send a factory built rod along with the blank to make it less confusing.On this topic I probably should have said after Kevin's first resp once that he had taken care of it.

+ Reply to Thread