+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stupid rod building question!

Default Stupid rod building question!

I have never built a fly rod and do not have one started. I was thinking about rod building and a question came to mind. Can a person build a fly rod from a spinning rod blank? I see that they now have spinning rods in 7', 8', 10',etc. Is there a difference with the graphite in a spinning rod and a fly rod? Is there a difference with the taper of the two?

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I encourage you to try making your own rod. You will get all the help you need on FAOL. Yes there is a difference in the taper, though I have heard of building a fly rod on a spinning rod blank. With the fly rod blanks selection available, why bother? I am not an expert, but it is mentioned in the common cents system articles. [url=http://www.common-cents.info/:f7528]http://www.common-cents.info/[/url:f7528]

Greg,

Thanks for responding to my post. I figure that one day I will be building a fly rod. When I do, I will being using a fly rod blank to build on. That question just came to my mind and I figured someone would have the answer. Thanks for the web page on Common Sense. Very interesting reading there and makes one think. Thanks again,

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren;
    Build a rod, if you don't we'll all come down a do nasty things to your porch!!
    Seriously Warren. I would start with a multi piece kit. My first rod was a 9' 2 pc. and nothing on the bench or shelves was safe!! The wraps look like crap, hard to do it right when 4 and half feet away the other end is tangled up is something!!
    Single foot guides for sure as it is a lot less wraping. I've even got a spare spool of elastic thread you can have.
    Read (I think you have already!) AC's rod building article's.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

I have seen this done before, but typically the result is less than desirable. Two reasons primairly. A spinning or casting rod is designed to throw the weight of a lure and most are typically stiffer than fly rod blanks. Secondly, the taper (which impacts the action of the rod) would probably make it extremely fast and not conducive to great fly rod casting actions. I do know a guy that took a 10' noodle rod and made a fly rod from it and loves it for tubing and such when fishing the lakes. I think I would invest in a nice blank from Bob and go for it....but fiar warning,...it is addictive!

CAN you make a fly rod out of a spinning blank? Sure. Just like you can sue anybody for anything. But...I don't see the wisdom in doing it. I understand the question though. I am a testor and expiermentor all the time. Curious mind wondering about stuff and how it works. But they make all kinds of real fly rod material. You can make what ever kind of fly rod you want out of real fly rod material. Long, short, stiff, noodle, midflex, etc. I see no reason to use a broom handle for an axe handle so to speak. I am building my first rod and have seen many questions about probs with wrapping and the gluing, and finding the spine and where to put the guides. Just buy the Dale Cemens book, "Advanced Custom Rod Building". There is a section that will explain the spine better than you will find anywhere else. It's only $29. You will commence to ask and get all kinds of theories. Just get Dale's book. Another suggestion. Because of all the posts on gluing problems, I am going to practice on cheap arrows from Wal-Mart. They are straight, dark, shiny, slick, and I am going to practice different thread colors, wrapping and gluing on them before I ever try to glue on one guide on my real blank.

Good luck. It's a fun subject to get into. Very entertaining.

Gem

Thanks Gem, I will check that book out for sure. As far as the curious part I am with you. I will spare the details but through the use of a 4x4 fence post, a metal ruler and a laser level, I think I understand the spine thing. Thanks again for the heads up!!

Thanks to everyone for the info. I am afraid to look any further into building my own fly rod because I am afraid of the addiction! I think I would love to build one and will one day. Jack, if you come to my porch, you will have to bring Ohiotuber with you since I cannot get him to come to Tennessee and fish with me. After you all get through on my porch, we will all go fishing and cleaning the porch will have to be put on the list with raking leaves, mowing yard, etc. Thanks to all for the info.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren

Warren,
    You should build a rod.
    You should not be "afraid" of anything.

You will not try something BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LIKE IT? Wow, what a method of operation.

That's reminds me of raising our kids. Wife tells kids she is not going to buy any more soda pop. Kids ask why" She comments "Because you drink it! Duh? Son says but mom, isn't that what it is made for? Of course she was just annoyed they shared so much with others and it went so fast.

Anywhoooo......I also think the word "should"......should (pun intended) be removed from all our vocabulary.

Just FYI in a jovial mood.
    Have a good ride.

Gem

I have built many fly rods and have never had any problem because I use materials made for what I am building. One acception is building a fly rod from a noodle rod blank. I have not done this yet, but have seen some nice rods used with fly reel and line for fishing salmon, steelhead, etc.

One thing to keep in mind, I believe you could use any blank if you remember the spine positioning of each type of rod. The fly rod guides are along the spine of the rod and pointed downward, spinning rod's guides are located on the opposite side of the spine and also pointed down with the spine upwards. Bait casting rod's guides are located on the spine BUT the guides are pointed up when holding the rod in your hand. Thus, they have more power for larger fish (that is why when fighting a large fish a fly fisherman will turn their rod over for strength).

For finding a spine see the other post on this BB. I prefer bending the rod blank while rolling it on a table top. This allows me to "feel" the "bump". A spine tool like the one in my local fly shop is better and most of the time I have the blanks spined and marked before I leave the shop.

Take everyones advice and build a rod.

+ Reply to Thread