+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question

Hybrid View

Question A question

I note that there is a great proliferation of fly reels recently. They are expensive and precision devices. I've been fishing for many decades and never found fault with my Pfleuger Medalists. Are they still made? Have they fallen into disfavor? Are they considered antiques? I think my assortment will last forever. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Ray,

Pflueger still sells the Medalist in a Combo package (rod,reel, etc) but their website does not show the Medalist as a reel being sold. They do sell Purist, an Automatic, a President and a Trion fly reels.

With the great number of Medalists out there still being sold on the internet sites, I suspect the Medalist will be around for a long time.

Larry ---sagefisher---

The "new" Medalists are made in China, and are not up to the standards of the older U.S. made reels.

Blog Entries

You can buy Medalists lots of places.
    The Medalists are much heavier than new reels. They are also not as smooth in operation as the new precision reels.
    Like most, I still have a couple made in the 70's before production was moved offshore.

They are considered collectable depending on the vintage. For me any that are 6 rivet I consider collectable...that leaves out the DA series which were made in the states but not 6 rivet....others will differ.

They quit making Medalists within this past year.....
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher7 View Post
    The"new" Medalists are made in China, and are not up to the standards ofthe older U.S. made reels.
    But the spools, even on the knock-off Compac reels will fit Pflueger Medalistbodies.

About 20 years ago I contacted Pflueger for some extra parts (pawltops, springs) and they sent a few no-charge. They may still have some if youWRITE to them.
    The Pflueger site does not show any Supreme fly reels at this time. Too bad, Ihave two click and pawl, and two disc drag (in addition to my several Medalistsof course).

As for the Trions - I think Ovis, perhaps Redington, and also some othercompanies have the same reel (just a different spool pattern), so again, spoolsfrom one brand can fit a Pflueger (and vice versa).

They've "fallen out of favor" totally due to marketing, and the BS pushed around by authors, "guides", and websites... that any fly reel must have brakes fit to stop a cargo plane, a "large arbor", and must cost a lot of $$$ or it is just not worth a fly fisher looking down his nose at. (unless, of course, it is a click-pawl Hardy, then it is masterful work of perfection, drag be damned....)

Nobody wants to remember that the original big fish and saltwater fly fishermen used Pfleuger Medalists modified with a leather pad against the spool to create an infinitely variable and controllable drag system.

I will say with confidence that 99% of people waving a fly rod will not ever NEED a high-tech drag, and don't have even an inkling of a clue as to how the resistance of their fly line in the water affects the resistance a hooked fish fights against, not counting the reel's drag system.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    I will say with confidence that 99% of people waving a fly rod will not ever NEED a high-tech drag, and don't have even an inkling of a clue as to how the resistance of their fly line in the water affects the resistance a hooked fish fights against, not counting the reel's drag system.
    I have an affinity for pre-war click pawl reels. I use them on two handed rods with which I will fish for steelhead. One of the tricks to landing large, brawling fish like a 2 or 3 salt wild steelhead weighing into the upper teens with a click pawl reel is to allow the line "belly" into the current. The fish will tire quickly pulling a large amount of line that the river is pulling against the fish. During this "fight" the angler merely maintains the line bellied in the river and waits for the fish to tire enough to be landed.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread