+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Click and Pawl, Suggestions Please

Ducksterman speaketh the truth.

Chuck

2. Default

IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpgPrior to 1938 all Medalist reels were spring-and-pawl. The adjustable drag mechanism was invented by a member of the Golden Gate Casting Club who assigned the patent to Medalist gratis. Over the years I've acquired a couple of 1494 spring-and-pawl reels and one very early adjustable-drag model.

The first picture is of the two S&P models, other indications of early models are the sculpted posts, the amber-colored handle, the metal spool-release button and the round line guard. The reel on the left in the second picture is a S&P model and that on the right is an example of a S&P frame casting modified (apparently at the factory) to incorporate the adjustable drag (note the crowded rivet spacing and the lack of the boss to house the drag control knob and shaft which was added to later frame castings).
    Last edited by Preston Singletary; 01-02-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I don't believe 1494's are click and prawl. "they are a friction drag (shoe and disc) type, not a click pawl" Only the 1492 is and it may be a little small for him... Sorry
    The very early ones were click and pawl.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

You are correct....and they were really early. I was referring to what might be available to him....there was an offer made on a "current "model ...

Maybe Preston will sell him his

I have a 1492-1/2 on my 7ft glass 5/6-wt and it seems to be about right...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

What model would serve me as a 6 wt?

1494 should work for you.

The 1494 would work as narcodog says...however quivira kid is saying that the 1492 1/2 works for him. The 1/2 just means it is wider and would therefore hold more line than the regular 1492. The 1492 is click and prawl and unless you mug a collector you will not likely get a click and prawl 1494. There are all kinds of 1494's available if you gave up on click and prawl. Another thing to be aware of is that the Medalists tend to be heavier than their counterparts of the same size so you might want to consider some of the earlier suggestions.

A heads-up about Medalists reels. Some of the relatively older ones had a reel foot that would not fit some fly rod seats. Just an FYI- try on your rod(s) before you buy.

Chuck

If you are still looking for a click and pawl reel there are a couple for sale on the http://www.classicflyrodforum.com

+ Reply to Thread