+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking about dries

Hybrid View

Default Talking about dries

Hey guys...I was wondering: what size do you use more usually, when you go on dry flies? I mean not the big foam monsters, but the classic mayfly, caddis, imitations.
    RF

The two predominant dry flies I use are sulphurs and BWO's. I tie up more size 18's than any other size.

Generally for mayflies and caddis it is #16. However I have been shut-out a few times with those when there are midges on the water, so have tied a number of 18s and 20s which are needed more than I would like.

During spring & summer, #16 more than anything else. During fall & winter, #18 is more common. Really don't venture much higher than #14, nor much lower than #20, unless I run into a very specific hatch.

I fish 10s to 18s typically, with 14 and 16 being the most common, and 12s right behind.

12 and 14 In most cases. Getting where I can't see the smaller ones...

rocket,
    I usually fish dries when the trout are rising to them. that given it depens on the time of year. early season I will use size 18 blue winged olives, size 18 grey caddis, and size 14 quill gordons. when the hendricksons are hatching i will use 12-14 hendricksons and red quills. later on I will use sz 14 pale evning duns, 12-14 ligth cahills, size 16-20 sulphurs with size 14-18 caddis thrown in for good measure. in the summer smaller summer goddesses sz 18-22 yellow quills and 22 nedhemi and tricos in the fall mostly 18-22 blues winded olives. the fly type and size will change as the hatches do. now you can catch fish on one or two patterns as has been proven by some but if you give them a close match to what is on the water you will get far more takers. if they ain't risen I am fishing west and nymphs.

Steve

Thank you guys. Very interesting answers!
    RF

Blog Entries

It really depends upon the water I am fishing. With rivers, some of them produce really small bugs, like the Missouri River above Cascade, Montana. That river is usually fished with very small dries, BWO's, Caddis, PMD's all usually no bigger than a 16 but often in 18 and some in 20's. In contrast to that is the Clark Fork and several other western rivers in Montana where larger dries are often used, like 12's and 14's, but then again if the hatch is a smaller insect then you go to a smaller dry.

If I had to go with one main size I would say a size 16 would produce well on most rivers that I fish. That is unless the Skwala Stoneflies are out, then bring out the 12's and 10's. As for other stoneflies, Salmonflies are huge, Yellow Sallies are small.

As for lakes, again, depends upon the water, but 16's are almost always a good bet.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Average sizes:
    BWO 18, PMD 16, PED 14, March Brown 12-14, Green Drake 8-10, Callibaetis 14, Caddis 12-16 (except October Caddis or Traveling sedge), Salmonfly 4-6, Golden Stone 6-8

+ Reply to Thread