+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching/carrying landing nets

Hybrid View

Default Attaching/carrying landing nets

Another thread on rubber nets made me curious as to the best way to attach/carry the net. I use the big magnet method attached at the handle and clipped to my back and I guess it works ok. I tried attaching it to the top of the net and that made carrying easier but it made it harder to net the fish. It is a bit of a yoga class to reattach after use. I was thinking of getting one of those big zingers....
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31622...per-retractors
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I use a magnet too, but I took kind of a hybrid approach. I attached the magnet to the top of the net so that the handle is hanging down when I reach back for it. I left the coiled "lanyard" attached to the handle of the net though, so that it doesn't interfere with landing the fish.

Great, thanks for that!
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    Another thread on rubber nets made me curious as to the best way to attach/carry the net. I use the big magnet method attached at the handle and clipped to my back and I guess it works ok. I tried attaching it to the top of the net and that made carrying easier but it made it harder to net the fish. It is a bit of a yoga class to reattach after use. I was thinking of getting one of those big zingers....
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31622...per-retractors
    The Gear Keeper net zinger is EXACTLY what I use (for 2 years) & it's great. Just pull your net to the front & when done, just let it go. Fantastic & easy! In fact, I have Gear Keepers for my sling pack for tools & my waterproof camera. The great thing is they all have quick releases so you can take the item off. With the camera zinger, I attach it to my sling pack & also clip it to a belt loop for use at Browns' games, the zoo, soccer games, etc. If I want someone else to take a picture, I just squeeze the quick release. I could ADVERTISE these things!
    I recommend Gear Keepers 100% & they are also the strongest zingers I have ever used. No, I am NOT affiliated with them in any way..just a totally happy customer.

This is the one I have for my net..... http://www.gearkeeper.com/flyfish/landingnetretrac.html click on fly fishing to see their other stuff. The micro zinger (with screw post) works great thru the cordura nylon belt tabs on my Simms Sling Pack...no tools hanging in front of me but instantly available.

Mike
    Last edited by ohiotuber; 12-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Ditto John N. I used cable ties to attach the magnet to the top of the net. The big advantage of hanging it this way is that the net is much less likely to hang up on brush when it is between your shoulders.

Blog Entries

I used to use a het holder sold by Cabela's that had plastic components that snapped together. It was a little tricky snapping back together but it could be done. Then I went to a very strong earth magnet type holder and that works really well and is easy to 'snap' back together, just get the two pieces within a couple inches of each other and they do the snapping. I always hang by net with the actual net up by my the back of my fly vest. The net has a stretch cord that I attach to a ring on the side of my vest so I can release the net if needed and it won't float away. Larry ---sagefisher---

This is the way my kids and I have been rigging our nets for awhile...

...fairly self-explanatory and it works for us...

I've got a bunch of gear keepers but they are just too big, bulky and weighty...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

PT, you haven't had a problem breaking the frame of your net when jerking it loose?

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    PT, you haven't had a problem breaking the frame of your net when jerking it loose?
    We PULL it loose... I find it best not to be jerkin' anything while FF ...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Yet another vote for the John-N and PT method. The bag doesn't catch on the bushes or drag in the water and the cord is out of the way too. The magnets are strong, but the net frame is stronger, no fear of breaking it (even my older, cheaper one). It takes a little practice to bring the magnet back together - the trick is to learn where your hand must be near your bum for the top of the net to be near the magnet (ymmv).

+ Reply to Thread