+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bamboo question

Default Bamboo question

Repost from FAOL board:

I see alot of bamboo rods "remade" into new rods using the tip and mid sections of an older rods. Is this a common way to salvage an otherwise unsalvagable rod? How does this affect the original action? I would assume it would speed up the rod so to speak because of the lost length available to flex. And lastly, I am about to make the bamboo plunge. Would one of these rods be good to get a feel for bamboo or would I be better off saving a little longer and getting a standard rod?

Matt

[url=http://mysite.verizon.net/bamboo.mike/index.html:33c60]http://mysite.verizon.net/bamboo.mike/index.html[/url:33c60] is the site that tyflier is probably thinking about.

Lots of folks have "remade" old 3 piece bamboo rods into 2 piece Bantys. Some work out kinda nice -- some are just plain dreadful. But it is easy to find out what you will get before you do anything to it. String it up with some line ( you might have to try different weight lines) and stick the reel in your pocket. If there are guides missing they can be taped on w/ masking tape. See how it casts. If it turns out to be a dog, you have nothing invested. If you like it, you have a pretty good idea of what you will have before you start. If you do go ahead with the project , consider that this is going to be a fairly small light weight rod, and you might prefer a reelseat and grip to match.
    AgMD

since you are not familiar with cane and likely talking about one of the e-bay type purchases I can't recommend one of the mid-tip rods. A purpose built rod with a taper meant to flow together is a better investment. New single tip rods from quality builders can be had for as little as $400 and ther is a wide variety of used rods also. With an older used rod it should be checked by a competent builder or purchased through a knowlegable dealer who will sort out the garbage for you. One of the inexpensive jewels out there is a HI Tonka Queen , 7ft 9in for a 5wt. and often available with two tips for as little as $225. A little fast in action for my taste but a great way to get started.
    splinter

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to pick up one of Mike's rods soon to see if I can add bamboo to my list of fly fishing vices. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread