+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber Nets

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Rubber Nets

Not sure where to ask this question.

I recently switched to a rubber trout net as I am told it is better for the fish in catch and release situations (which is all I do anyway).

I wonder what others use and what is your experience with the rubber net. I have found it great.

I believe it is better for the fish and I KNOW it is better for the fisherman as the hooks don't get caught in the webbing like the older materials.

Thanks,

Byron

I agree Byron. I just started using a rubber net because I believe it is better for the fish. I usually carried my old nylon mesh net, but didn't use it often when nymphing because of the hassle of untangling the second fly from the net after releasing every fish. I found myself handling the fish rather than using the net, which cannot be good. First impression of my new rubber bag is that I'm sorry I waited so long to get one!

Cliff

I've used the "measure net" for probably 5 or 6 years and really like it. It's not rubber like a Ghost net, but rather a rubberized material that has the same properties - doesn't snag hooks and hopefully is easier on the fish - though they don't say.

Blog Entries

Rubber type nets are the only way to go. I have two, a long handled boat net and a smaller creek water type net. Both are the black rubber netting, they didn't have the clear netting when I bought mine. If I was going to buy a new one it would be the clear rubber type net. Many of the guides I use have gone to the clear net and those that have not plan to when the net wears out. They are much easier on the fish, hooks don't hang up and they don't smell of fish, which is nice when you toss the net into the back of your rig.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I think the difference in convenience with rubber nets vs. nylon is as dramatic as any choice I've ever stumbled on in my fly fishing equipment. Hooks don't get snagged, jaws and fins don't get tangled up, and I can often land the fish, remove the hook, and release the fish without ever having taken it out of the water or the confines of the net. You couldn't give me one with a mesh bag, unless I liked the frame and was going to put a rubber bag on it.

A couple of times I had the fly go through the fish and lodge in the fabric net. Then you are on the stream (or leaning over the float tube) trying to get your nippers to cut the leader to let the fish go - even before you start struggling with the fly!

I switched last spring - although I thought of it for a couple of years, wish I had changed back then. Not only is the rubber better for the fisherman - less frustrating - it is better for the fish. Mine is from Wolf Moon, I picked it up in Connecticut on the annual trip to the Farmington.

Replacement rubber bags are available separately, and if the wooden part of my original net had been better quality I would have just replaced the bag - it can't be that hard. I recommend this for anyone with a quality net handle with a fabric bag.
    Cheers, Greg
    Last edited by Greg H; 12-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.

I've been using a Brodin boat net that has a rubber, I think they call it a "Ghost"', bag for a couple years and it works just fine. Not only is rubber easier on the fish, but since flies don't get caught in the rubber as readily, we often release fish faster which is also better for the fish.

This spring I'm thinking of getting a Nomad boat net, that also has a rubber bag. I think it may hold up a bit better in the boat whereas the wood framed net tends to get a bit banged up over time.

Anyone have any experience with Nomad nets?

I have a Nomad net withe a rubber bag and I love it. Recently, FishPond bought interest in the Nomad nets.

The thing is pretty light and the rubber net is much better than the fine mesh net that I was using. You are exactly right John about being able to release a fish much more quickly.
    I have the hand net, not the boat net. The carbon frame would hold up better than a wood frame. I'd recommend the Nomad nets. Not exactly cheap, but they are nice.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. I guess there will be a Nomad net in my future.

AND, anyone who has used , as have I, the "other " type should , as will I, for OBVIOUS reasons , run out and buy the rubber type. It's really a NO BRAINER. What must I have been thinking??
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread