+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rubber Nets

Don't really have a problem with my older Brodin, but the ghost bag has drawn my attention a time or two simply because it would clean and dry much better in the back of my truck. I'm not a "zero touch" fisherman, so I'm fine with wetting my hand and holding the fish. Much prefer it regardless of net type.

Anoter testament as to my previous disclaimer that I fish fly but am NOT a flyfisherman with all the associated baggage , "Brodin??, Ghost Net??", I have NO clue as to what those are. Mine is/are a NET. But Joanee, I'm interested in the nylon net your BRAGGING size cutt chose to hop into. Who done it?? and where can I git one?

Mark

Willy J. Here is the description. I love the Hooked handle http://www.williamjoseph.net/gear.ph...Choice=Hooknet

Marco, No real baggage. Brodin is just the net brand. Ghost net is their name for the rubber net bag.

I've seen plenty of posts here over the years where someone has lashed out on behalf of the "common man" against the "elitist" fly fishing mentality as they perceive it being represented by various things - usually high dollar rods or $800 waders - but this is the first time I've seen it applied to rubber bagged landing nets of all things (recalling of course that no brand was mentioned originally and you can find a complete net frame and rubber bag for less than $30 anymore). Guess if you try hard enough, you can manufacture a beef with just about anything.

Blog Entries

Well said John....
    Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    I've seen plenty of posts here over the years where someone has lashed out on behalf of the "common man" against the "elitist" fly fishing mentality as they perceive it being represented by various things - usually high dollar rods or $800 waders - but this is the first time I've seen it applied to rubber bagged landing nets of all things (recalling of course that no brand was mentioned originally and you can find a complete net frame and rubber bag for less than $30 anymore). Guess if you try hard enough, you can manufacture a beef with just about anything.
    Some call this a discussion. Isn't this what forums are for?

Blog Entries

A discussion doesn't usually involve name calling.

Some can, we are human. I didn't notice name calling in this post and I was personally targeted on a few answers. I am just going to add, not all "rubber" nets are equal as is the nylon. As I mentioned earlier, Brian Chan uses nylon. The rubber nets mentioned are the better, but there are more that have their debatable qualities. I was all set to get a Nomad as well because of the material being so light. But when the net goes for the price of a great fly rod, the rod won out and I bought a Chinese net "WITH" the long handle for Pontooning AND a rubber Ghost net for $49. I haven't tried everything out there, but I have tried a bunch and know what I like. Others may differ, and some may not know all the options. You can't say ALL nylon sucks, but, you could be in the frame of mind or happy enough with what you got to not care to try. I have rebasketed a few nylon nets with rubber (and agree that it is really easy to do) but I have had no need or desire to rebasket the WJ. I had a beautiful blonde long handle, large opening ORVIS net that I put the Ghost Net on. It is somewhere between Mack's Inn and Henry's lake now and I do miss it terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Some call this a discussion. Isn't this what forums are for?
    Joni, my sincere apologies for the apparent misunderstanding. My comment was not directed at you in the least, I've had nothing but respect for your opinions and the way you've expressed them here over the years. Your posts about the mesh net bags were intriguing to me to say the least and I was sorry to see some of the pointed responses. My frame of reference has always been the older style bags that were touted as "catch and release" - rubber coated, but with clearly bigger holes than the Willy J, MeasureNet, or other similar styles, and it was interesting to hear the benefits those provide. My comment was in response to the series of posts that seemed to feel the need to say this was all a bunch of high brow nonsense. I ignored the first one, scratched my head over the meaning of the second one, and finally decided the third one deserved a "Really?" In a sport where you can choose to do all kinds of things all different ways, I try to be a "to each his own" kind of guy, and get a little annoyed sometimes when it feels like others can't do the same. Sorry again and best wishes to you.

+ Reply to Thread