+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vintage Constable Sceptre Fly Rod

Hybrid View

Default Vintage Constable Sceptre Fly Rod

I have a vintage 7' 2 pc. fiberglass Constable Sceptre 4/5 wt. fly rod, on a blank that was made by Hardy's I believe, that I bought new probably in the 1970's or the early 1980's from the old Anglers Mail that was formerly located in Ceveland, OH. I haven't used this rod in many years, and it is in pretty nice condition.

I found several interesting in depth discussions regarding the history of this rod on the Fiberglass Rodders Forum:

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...hp?f=3&t=42131

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...t=Buck+Sceptre

But, I'm not a member there, and have no idea of this rod's value.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of what this fly rod might sell for? I've done some internet searches and can't find any listed for sale.

Thanks, John

Blog Entries

sadly they don't go for much i have one that i bought for about $30.00. they range from $15-100 depending on the construction. i'm betting yours had a full aluminum downlocking reel seat. plated brass furrels and steel guides. is the grip a good cork or is it the older low grade cork. full wells? or is it a half wells

You are thinking of a completely different rod from mine. You can see the rod I have in the links I referenced.

Blog Entries

no i'm thinking of the same rod your second link shows the one i was thinking of on the end. of the row. theres alot of mixed thoughts on the the going price but i have never seen them go for more then $100

John,

Get rid of that thing and send to me immediately! They have terrible juju, and you don't want to carry that sort of evil around with you.

Unfortunately I have no idea of the value but can tell you (and will confirm the general observations on the fiberglass forum) that they are terribly underrated for weights. The 4/5 is more of a 6/7, but still a lovely rod to fish and to have. If you come up with a price, I hope you'll let me have first crack at it as I'm building up my glass arsenal.

Best,

Marty

If it's the cigar grip with cork band reel seat rod pictured, I would place a low value on that rod of $150 to a high of around $200. I don't know if you'll get the price, as Sceptres are not a well known rod line. They are fine fishing rods, I own 3 of their rods and find them very pleasurable to cast and fish. The full wells griped rod pictured should also have a value of $150 or more. These were well designed blanks and make good rods. The blanks were built by Hardy and have some pedigree and value for this. However, it's all a crap shoot when trying to sell old glass, one buyer won't pay and others will over pay. Good luck.
    wcglass
    Last edited by wcglass; 12-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread