+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Hybrid View

Default Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

We've had 2 snowfalls so far this winter that were big enough that I needed to use my snowblower, and another smaller snowfall is forecast for today. I don't mind being out in that kind of weather, and actually kind of look forward to it, properly dressed in my fishing attire!

A couple of years ago, I retired an old pair of Simms breathable waders from wading duty, after they developed more pin holes than I seemed to be able to find and patch. However, rather than throwing them out when I bought a new pair to replace them, I simply cut off the feet, and now use them as breathable, waterproof pants whenever I'm out in the winter shoveling snow. They are easy to get on and off, and I can wear them as pants, tucked into my regular insulated winter boots.

With a lightweight pair of long johns under them, they are wonderful. My legs don't get cold or wet, and no amount of cold wind effects my lower body.

If I'm going to be out for an extended time, or if it is snowing quite a bit, I often will also wear my fishing rain jacket - mine is a Patagonia SST model - the short one with a hood, designed to be worn with waders. So, that keeps be totally dry and warm, including keeping the cold wind off my neck when I put the hood up. I often also wear the same very lightweight, quilted jackets under the raincoat that I often wear for fishing on those cold summer or fall days, together with my Simms fingerless gloved mittens.

So, even when I'm not fishing, I can dress like I'm going fishing, and think about fishing even when I'm shoveling snow on the coldest days of winter.

So, don't throw out those old waders when you retire them from their intended primary purpose, or hang your other fishing gear in the closet during the winter. Put them into winter service when needed. You might be surprised how well they work for that purpose.

John

John,

What a wonderful idea! I will keep that in mind and hope to never have to use it here in Tennessee!! I have lived here for over 25 years but did live in Ohio before moving here and your idea would have been great for all those times I had to shovel my driveway or sidewalk. Thanks so much for sharing and I know there are members out there that will use your idea and appreciate it. Have a great Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Back 20 odd years ago I bought my first pair of waders, some of the rubber on canvas variety not wanting to spend a bunch of money on the wading, floating tubing thing until I knew I was going to like it. Sunday was wearing the last remaining bits of those waders, the boots as I worked to take down our the props from church's Christmas program that was rained out. I have a float tube cover repaired with the remains of my second pair of waders. I told my family, when the time comes, to bury me in my waders, but my daughter told me she was not going to do that. I told her okay, I would get new ones when I get there, but to put a fly in my hand, which she agreed to do.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Stick around Warren and the snow needing those waders will come. March 15, 1991, 15 inches in Knoxville and used a piece of 1/4 inch plywood with a 2x4 handle to dig out the car to go get the boys who had spent the night at a friends and their power was out. Then April 1, 1993 we got 21 inches and I used the same homemade snow shovel to dig out. Wish I had something to keep the legs dry and warm for those 2 blizzards.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    John,

What a wonderful idea! I will keep that in mind and hope to never have to use it here in Tennessee!! I have lived here for over 25 years but did live in Ohio before moving here and your idea would have been great for all those times I had to shovel my driveway or sidewalk. Thanks so much for sharing and I know there are members out there that will use your idea and appreciate it. Have a great Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Holensum, I fear you are correct we are overdue for a major winter precip event, the last in north GA was March 1993 when we got hit with 13 inches of ice and snow. My son was working on his MA degree at MS State and was in Atlanta on spring break, he and his roomie had to return through Montgomery because B'ham was impassable after a week. My local historian friends says the area get his every 11 years on average so we are overdue, an I am south of Warren by a few.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

John, my fellow flyfishing folks never cease to amaze me. Never at a loss for uses for older equipment. Thanks for the idea, one of those,''Why didn't I think of that.'' Thanks again, John.

+ Reply to Thread