+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attaching rings to furled leader

Hybrid View

Default Attaching rings to furled leader

I've been tying the simple furled leaders for several years now. I bought the Kathy Scott dvd and it proved very helpful. I do have a question about attaching the small 2.0mm tippet rings to the leader. What is the best way to do this? Do you attach it after the leader has been furled and the shorb loops already made, or do you place it on the thread and then furl the thread (I would think this would be near impossible).

Thanks ahead for any advice.

Greg

Greg

Did you get my PM??

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Grey,

Here is what I did to install the tippet rings: I found a crochet needle that the tip was small enough to go through the ring and then slid the tipett ring onto the crochet needle, hooked the loops of one leg before twisting with the crochet needle, lifted those loops off the peg, slid the tippet ring down the crochet needle and over the loops onto that leg. You can then twist that leg to the 10% plus the other leg. Once both legs are twisted, you can slide the tippet ring down the leg to be at the tippet end of the leader and use the installed tippet ring as the hook up for your weights and allow the leader to furl. Once furled, you only need to put a shorb loop at the butt end and your furled leader with a tippet ring is ready to fish. Hopefully, this is clear enough for you to do it. There are other ways to install a tippet ring, but this is the way I do it. I also install a very small swivel on the tippet end of some of my furled leaders. Jack got me started on that. : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Brad, I haven't gotten your message yet, but thanks for sending it.

Thank you Warren for your explanation.

If there are other ways, please keep them coming.

I slide mine down one leg before I begin the furling, held to the center upright with a safety pin and o/ring on the upright.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goduster View Post
    I slide mine down one leg before I begin the furling, held to the center upright with a safety pin and o/ring on the upright.
    i do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goduster View Post
    Ron ... for those of us that are picture/word challenged a pic would be helpful to understand your process

+ Reply to Thread