Well hello again all, and let me first say Happy Holidays to all!!!!

Well, last night I finally had the light bulb go on between the ears! After being a little less than pleased with the rod turning motor I bought from Cabelas, I have been trying to find a substitute. Now first of all, the motor I bought is the one that rotates at about 4 rpm. It worked well for the first rod with thick epoxy. But on the next one, I am wanting to thin the epoxy down a bit and put on multiple coats of it. I am wanting a rod turner that turns at around 15 rpm to make the thinner coats work a little better.

Now the problem is that finding a reasonably price motor is not very easy to say the least. I went to Radio Shack for help in making one and got the "beats me" expression.

Well, last night I did a google search for 16 rpm motors, and guess what it gave me. RECORD PLAYERS!! For those of us who remember them, a light may have just gone off in between the ears as well. It seems that the large records players used 16 rpm!!!

So now my question, does anyone out there think it might be possible to take an old record player and convert the power and motor section of it to rod turner use? I think it should work, but don't have an old record player to try it on. It has a power cable already wired into it for electrical power. I am thinking all you would have to do is to take it apart, and mount the motor horizantally, mount something to hold the rod handle or blank ferrule, trip the switch to make the thing start to turn and voila!!!

So, any thoughts if this may be a wasted effort?

Sincerely,
Reg