+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any disadvantage to a 10 ft rod vs a 9ft?

Blog Entries

Just in case.......I assume you are aware of the "broken down" length?
    I have a 9.5' BIIIX and the only drawback, for me personally, is that I can barely get into my largest suitcase diagonally. I prefer not to carry rods when traveling by plane on a fishing trip.

small brushy stream would be a pain with a 10' rod...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I have a 10' 4wt and an 8' 6" 4wt. I have to admit I like the length of the 10' but I can really tell the difference at the end of the day. The 10' wears me out. (I have a 10' 9wt I use for steelhead and built a 9' 7wt to take its place.) You'll notice that extra foot in more ways than one...

Bill
    Last edited by billhouk; 12-17-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: grammer

I have a 10' 4 wt that I use almost exclusively for nymphing. I think it's just about perfect, but my winter project is a 10' 3 wt that will probably replace it next year. It's a personal thing, but I believe the advantages of the 10 more than offset any "weight difference." I also know my first rod, a 9' 5 wt from a $100 beginners kit, including a reel and line, would tire me out a lot faster than my 5 wt Helios2 does today. My belief is, the weight question is only valid if you compare the 9' to the 10' version of the same make and model rod. Byron makes a good point, the longer rod is more difficult pack.

Cliff

I don't find my GLoomis GLX Classic 10 ft 5 wt at all tiring. On the other hand an older Orvis 10 ft 5 wt was a beast because it was tip heavy. Keeping that tip up for nymphing is what tired me out.

As far as packing is concerned, a rod tube for a 4 piece 10 ft rod is only 3" longer than a 4 piece 9 foot. My Gloomis 9 ft rod tubes are 31" long and the 10 ft rod tubes are 34" inches long.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Thanks for this discussion. I'm thinking about going to a 10' rod for nymphing (most of my fishing) in western streams where casts are rare (mostly dappling), and this whole discussion confirmed for what I want to use it for a 10' rod will be perfect.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

You won't be disapponted with a 10' rod. Most of our streams are medium size to small here in Central, PA, and many guys use 10' rods. As far as casting dry flies with it, you'll find it fun. It is just as accurate as a 9' rod. I don't think you'll be able to land a fly in a tea cup every cast, but you really don't need to. An extra foot of reach doesn't seem like much, but it has its advantages. I have a 10', 3wt., 5wt., 5/6 wt., 6 wt., and enjoy all of them. I built the 3wt. and 6 wt.s. I'd be glad to sell the 3 wt. to you. I only fished it about 5 times. The only reason is is that I have too many rods to use. That's one thing about rod building, if you're not into selling them, you quickly have too many.

Blog Entries

I fished the white with a 10' rod and loved it for nymph and wet fishing but didnt do well with the drys at all.

I am now leaning back to a 9ft . . . It's going to be used as all around trout fishing. More nymphs than dries, but there will be nymphing, soft hackle, a little dry fly action etc. Maybe even some small wooly bugger/streamer action.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Of course there are some disadvantages. A longer rod will be heavier. Not much, but somewhat. Also, if you fish smaller streams, a longer rod can make it difficult to cast in and around tight spaces. If you do any dapping, a longer rod can make line/fly control difficult. If you're dapping and need to suddenly move your fly closer, you have to elevate your rod at an angle, which, with any wind, can cause you to lose control of the fly.

+ Reply to Thread