+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Color of PMD Spinner

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Color of PMD Spinner

I have often used a rusty spinner to imitate the spinner fall of the PMD. It always seemed to work. And most other fishermen I was around and/or local shops suggested using a traditional "rusty spinner". And, the fly was basically that color - rust. And, when wet, even a bit darker rust color.

In reading Syl Nemes' book "Spinners", he argues instead for a light olive color for the PMD spinner. I have seen the imitation tied both ways. Now, I know that many insect bodies in the spinner stage can take on that "Red Quill" color.

Here is what Syl recommends specifically for the PMD spinner fall.

Do you agree?

Spinners for a given species can be multiple colors, but this PMD is sure rusty...

Firehole, maybe 2005.

PMD Spinner.jpg

Byron, in my neck of the woods in southeast Idaho the PMD spinners are two colors and usually a size apart. My understanding is that the females are usually olive while the males are rusty and a size smaller than the females. Most spinner falls I have experienced here have been a size 16 olive spinner and a size 18 rusty spinner.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I looked at several references. Most had pictures of PMD spinners that were rusty colored. But most were also males as is Walter's picture.

Here is what Hafele and Hughes have to say in Western Mayfly Hatches:
    "Spinner Characteristics ... c. Body of females pale olive-yellow to Brown; body of males typically darker, yellowish-brown to reddish brown."

Blog Entries

Quite interesting. The other issue is where the spinner dies. The female dies on or in the water ovipositing their eggs. It is my understanding that the males generally do not end up on the water surface. I am looking for more definitive information on that aspect. UPDATE....In a pretty definitive publication pn maflies, the authors of "Mayflies" reference the males landing on the water sirface too....So, the appropriate color may depend on where the insect dies and is available to the fish.
    If the predominate dead spinner available to the trout is the female, and the female tends to be lighter in color than the male, perhaps the rusty color is not the most effective imitation during a spinner fall?

Male and female??

Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-15-2013 at 05:08 AM.

I've seen as many or more rusty spinners on the water as I have olive. While I appreciate what is written, and I'm not trying to argue here, my experience is from being on the water and seeing it for myself. I once found myself on the Teton River outside of Driggs, ID in the middle of a true "blanket" hatch of caddis. The air was so thick with bugs that it seemed they flew as one mass upriver. Fish were feeding all around me. I tied on my best caddis imitation and proceeded to not catch any fish, not one take, not even a visible refusal.

I looked closer at the water and realized that while the caddis were emerging and taking flight there was also a massive PMD spinner fall and the surface of the water was covered with spent spinners in both olive (size 16) and rusty (size 18 ). The fish were on the spinners while much larger insects popped out of the water all around. I tried both flies and found the fish that evening preferred the rusty version over the olive by about 2 to 1. It was an epic night with a dozen fish to hand, another dozen lost after hooking and more than a dozen missed.

Just my observations.

P.S.: nice flies you have tied there
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread