+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bamboo Banty Fly Rod Project

Default Bamboo Banty Fly Rod Project

There are a few people on eBay selling banty fly rods for approximately $150, and I am interested in possibly building my own from a nine foot Montague Rapidan's mid/tip as a project for the Winter. What are your thoughts and experiences with this type of project? Thanks in advance.

I have done quite a few of these bantys and they work quite well. make great little small stream rods but dont look for it to turn out as a 2 or 3 weight....
    Parts selection is crucial too to keep from overweighting the butt end of it. Look at an Orvis Banty and you can get some idea of the size of componenets they used, make a really sweet little rod.

Chris,
    With one of those spare butt sections cut down to hold just the handle componets on the forward portion....you can use either the whole rod or switch out and have a banty for smaller streams..I have several setups like this..I have a stock pile of old rod parts...have made some truely great purcheses on ebay over the years..I once picked up a 9 rod lot for under 100 bucks...The goodwin granger was worth well more than that on it's own...ppl just don't know what they have...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread