+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cost of tippet material

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    In the November article I tried to describe tippet/mono/floro strength. Diameter may be the more important consideration, except for warm water where the fish aren't very line shy.
    I only buy tippet for 6x and 7x because I can't find spooled mono that fine.
    Bob,

Something you may already know but I'll just mention it because of what you wrote. In the sewing section of the large 'crafty stores', Coates & Clark makes a nylon sewing thread that comes in clear and smoke. It is not fluoro. The label it identifies the the diameter as .004 which makes it 7x. Now I'm not saying that stuff is as strong as a 7x tippet material but I've tried it and it was okay. As a matter of fact, it has very little memory and hardly any looping like typical tippets. Not necessarily recommending this stuff. Just sayin. Oh, it's also good for tying.

Allan

It makes pretty good tying thread Allan. Not that I am a very good tyer, but I use mono more than anything else. One of the shop owners out west uses it and stated it covered us a lot of sins.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Bob,

Something you may already know but I'll just mention it because of what you wrote. In the sewing section of the large 'crafty stores', Coates & Clark makes a nylon sewing thread that comes in clear and smoke. It is not fluoro. The label it identifies the the diameter as .004 which makes it 7x. Now I'm not saying that stuff is as strong as a 7x tippet material but I've tried it and it was okay. As a matter of fact, it has very little memory and hardly any looping like typical tippets. Not necessarily recommending this stuff. Just sayin. Oh, it's also good for tying.

Allan
    also makes a pretty good furled leader....comes in both .004" & .005" diameters

+ Reply to Thread