What warren is doing is the classic English/scottish way of fishing wets as has been done for hundreds of years. I just fimished a digital copy of a book by C.M. Tod written in 1898 about wet fly fishing his "normal" method was just as warren discribed and very effective. the swing of wet fies was just being started about this time as anglers were discovering that the sedge(caddis) could actually swim against a current to hatch. This is the primary reason for swing wets down and across. Most mayfly nymphs will swim to the surface, other than Isonychia and Baetis nymph none are actaully strong swimmers. I will swing wets and sfot hackles during a caddis hatch, just a soon as i start to see the flashy rises from trout chasing emerging caddis to the surface I will put on the proper style/size to closely mtach the caddis pupa and swing them to the spots were the fish are feeding. Also when the Eperous mayflies ( quill gordons/ pale evening duns) hatch they actually emerge from the nymphal shuck on the stream bottom and float to the surface with wings extended over their back, they look just like the winged wets many of us throw. about 3 years ago started to fish this way again after almost 15 or 18 years of not doing so and for the life of me I can't figure out why i ever stopped. Like everything else in this sport it has it's time and place and should not be used all the time jst as dry flies, nymphs or streamers shouln't.

steve

PS Gene the Liesenring lift is actually done when you cast up stream to a known fish and mend until the fly is with in sight of the trout then lift the rod ever so gently to cause the fly to rise up in front of the fish. this is a deadly method for emerging maylfies in the early season.