Having spent significant time around big bears... and little bears... having shot a significant number of black, brown, and grizzly bears... having played bear guard for photography safaris in the land of Timothy Treadwell... having watched bear spray used on two bears and fail to save either bears' life... Having had several bears die literally touching me... I am just egotistical enough to think I have a little better feel than most about bear safety...

Bear spray is a sorry excuse for protection. It cannot be used in many situations and the most likely scenario of coming upon a bear unaware is when the wind does not favor the bear... and also makes bear spray a non-starter. The two times I have used it or seen it used the bear did not survive the ordeal because he did not go away after a serious drenching. I have less then no faith in bear spray and believe the false sense of security it gives is a serious danger.

The poster commenting on the "study" done by Stephen Herrero is a pathetic joke. Herrero had an agenda before he was born and long before he had the first clue about bears. Peer review of his "study" was harsh... actually, harsh is a kind way of putting it. Little he has written is worth wasting a moments thought on.

Often I fish Kodiak Island streams ( I guided there for years) without a handgun and have bumped into many, many bears while doing so. A little basic knowledge about bears will save you a bunch of fear and anxiety. There are times when you need to pack up and go... NOW!!! But those incidents are pretty obvious. If you make noise the bears will hear you and move out ahead of your advance, usually without you even knowing they were there.

This is the core from a bullet, probably a 357 Magnum, found on the skull of a Kodiak brown bear my son shot this past spring.

The bone fragment came form the nuchal crest, where the bullet probably hit first. The jacket was shed and the core slipped forward in the muscle, between skull and hide.

I sent him to the beach alone and he did fine...

He was not carrying a handgun, though.

A good friend and well-known fishing guide in Soldotna was walking right outside his door when he was attacked by a huge brown bear. He happened to be carrying a very large handgun and managed to shoot and kill the attacking bear with a single shot. It skidded right past him as it expired. I hate to think what would have been the story if he had just a can of bear spray.

Please do not get the idea I am fearless around bears... Some bears scare me spitless, but they are the kind of bear that is not likely to mess with me, too. The most common problem bear is a hungry, recently disenfranchised boar unable to understand why Mom won't let him hang around anymore. They are easily intimidated and will usually back down quickly.