Thread: CCW and YOUR fishing "experiences".

Threaded View

Wherever I am "allowed" by law to exercise my rights, I do. Here are a few observations I have accumulated and considered:

When I lived in interior Alaska, I realized that in MOST circumstances, the brush was so thick along the streams that I would never see a bear coming until it was too late. A six inch stainless .44 Mag got heavy by the end of the day, but I still carried it. The only "defense" which made good sense, would be to have a non-fishing bear-watch person armed with a fairly heavy rifle and the ability to use it. Oh well, still carried the revolver and was never sorry I did, even though I had no experience where I "needed" it.

I lived in the desert southwest for 8 years, and have a great affinity for rattlesnakes. I have spent a LOT of time studying and photographing them. I have never once had the need to shoot a snake. As WaskeyC pointed out, the snake you DON'T see is the only one which will bite you, and you can't shoot what you can't see. In the years I lived in the southeast, I had many encounters with Water Mocasins. Again, never needed to shoot one. In my considerable experience all over the country and many other parts of the world, shooting a snake is completely un-needed. If a venomous snake needs to be killed around the house or yard, or poses a danger to children or pets, a shovel is a far more effective tool for the job.

I have only been threatened by dogs while cycling, not yet while fishing. Yes, I do often carry while on my bike, although usually in my camelback, not immediately accessible. I have however pepper sprayed quite a few dogs. I keep a small can velcro-d to my top tube. At the moment the dog's Idiot owner lets it set foot on the road, chasing me where I have the legal right to be, I have no hesitation whatever giving it a face full of OC. In Alabama I once had a dog "owner" threaten to shoot me for doing it, and twice had the county sheriff called. All three times I was of course right. I worry about dogs a lot more than I worry about bears.

Staying on topic of fishing, my life experiences lead me to believe I am at a FAR greater risk of encountering dangerous human animals than dangerous non-human animals which would threaten a situation which could end very poorly. Again, and I thank God every day, I have not had a situation in my private life where I NEEDED what I was carrying. I frequently launch and recover my kayak in the dark, in a few places near urban areas which are not exactly "friendly"...

When seconds count, help is only minutes away.

I agree with Marco 100%
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 12-27-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.