+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here Is Tom Davis's More Indepth Review of TUSA's New 3 Position Zoom Rods

Hey JD, I believe this is social media as sure as Salvador Dali was, well what he said he was. How do we know that you can form a loop or "Tenkaragolfblogguy" does not photoshop big fish pictures? The cyber veil is pretty opague. I gave up complaining about posers a long time ago especially online because you can never be truly sure who they are. Honestly, I don't like "jackalopes" either. The chip on my shoulder was formed when fly fishing went mainstream and every sport with a pipe straight out of Orvis lessons wanted to know which rock to stand on. I can only hope Tenkara is different and anglers get out, experiment on their own and experience the solitude that I look for in my fishing these days. T-fishing is simple so perhaps this will come about. Enjoy your long, perfect loops. 45 years of fly fishing yet I have always been a lousy technical caster. But then again, I could be in a chair reading books. Maybe I have never caught a fish. You will never know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hey JD, I believe this is social media as sure as Salvador Dali was, well what he said he was. How do we know that you can form a loop or "Tenkaragolfblogguy" does not photoshop big fish pictures? The cyber veil is pretty opague. I gave up complaining about posers a long time ago especially online because you can never be truly sure who they are. Honestly, I don't like "jackalopes" either. The chip on my shoulder was formed when fly fishing went mainstream and every sport with a pipe straight out of Orvis lessons wanted to know which rock to stand on. I can only hope Tenkara is different and anglers get out, experiment on their own and experience the solitude that I look for in my fishing these days. T-fishing is simple so perhaps this will come about. Enjoy your long, perfect loops. 45 years of fly fishing yet I have always been a lousy technical caster. But then again, I could be in a chair reading books. Maybe I have never caught a fish. You will never know for sure!
    Danny, I agree with what you say for the most part. We truly never know who we're typing to on the other side of the screen. I guess I hadn't really thought of fishing forums as social media, well at least not mainstream social media. Fly fishing is my hobby and I'm passionate about it. The forums are an outlet for me when I can't be on the water. When I think of social media outlets I think of Facebook and Twitter and, I think my daughter calls one Snapchat, or what ever the others names are. You know the places that people post about every single aspect of their life and every thing they did that day. What's trending now, their new shoes, who they ran into just now, or where they just ate the best burrito in town, and all with an indulgent selfie of their best profile attached to their post. Yeah, that's what I think of when those two words come to mind. But you are right (the sound of glass breaking in my head) Thanks for pointing this out to me. LOL.

However, if you hang around the fishing forums long enough, you start to see that some of the people who are also hanging out, can talk a good game, but some of the things they say just don't add up. For instances, They'll make a detailed post one day on something like, oh I don't know this is a good one, "The "best" way to fish a stream". Oh! okay this is gonna be good! And they'll tell you, "you've gotta go fast" As if every location, stream and every day and every fish are the same and they have it all figured out, and they're gonna drop some knowledge on us. If I read these kind of posts at all, it's because I want to become amused with their overall lack of knowledge of how to best fish a stream. Or someone who writes on a forum that he just started Tenkara and has no previous fly fishing experience, and then 3.5 months later becomes a tenkara fishing guide. Awesome! Or some guy who tells us why tenkara is so much better and more effective than fly fishing, because he tried fly fishing for about 6 months and never caught anything but he caught a fish on the first cast with a tenkara rod. This is the same guy that will tell you that tenkara is all about technique and not the equipment. Sooo I'm supposed to believe that in one hour with a tenkara rod in hand they have mastered the art of fly fishing and gained this unbelievable skill of catching fish on their first cast. REALLY! Are you sure it's not about the line and the rod buddy? Because I'm pretty sure it is. I wrote this on a fly fishing forum and I'm pulling it over here. I'm pointing out why fly fishing is a learned skill and how tenkara eliminates part of the learning curve.

"Position is one of the most important parts of all fly fishing. When I teach it I always emphasize "position, position, position". You can make a beautiful cast but if your angle of approach/position is off your line gets drag and your presentation is crap. You can approach a holding lie from many angles but there is only one "best angle".

But the key aspect of the tenkara rig is the ability to keep most if not all of the line off of the water. It takes many of those bad angles out of the equation because you're avoiding line drag, providing better control of the drift, thus fooling more fish and spooking less fish". See it's simpler!

Well Danny, enough about this from me. As you and everybody else can see at this point, I need to go fishing and get off of this damn box!

Last edited by jd_smith; 12-19-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Hey JD,
    I agree with you 100%. For the most part my T or fixed-line fishing is on still water because resident trout streams are not abundant in the 4th Corner of the USA. The great thing is my presentations are pretty much the same as they would be with "western" fly fishing. A lot of subsurface work and fluorocarbon level lines are great for this since they sink just right. I have fished less western style over the past few years - I really enjoy the light, simple JDM rods and it has been fun trying, trading and refining my collection down to 3 that cover all my needs well. As my old friend Jamie Maxtone Graham used to say. . . . .every good wish for another good fish!

+ Reply to Thread