Thread: Tying and Fishing Soft Hackles

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default Tying and Fishing Soft Hackles

I have been a big fan of soft hackle flies ever since reading Sylvester Nemes' little books. The first one, as far as I am aware, was published in '75 and I enjoyed it a lot...it was The Soft-hackled fly".. It got me into tying and fishing softies. The book contained a color photo of 14 of his patterns representing the pre-emerged state of 14 different mayflies. I loved the look of the flies. I was fortunate enough to get those same 14 flies, tied by Nemes himself in a little fly box. I still look at them from time to time.

He wrote several other little books. One of my favorites, though, was his little book on soft-hackle spinners. Again, I was able to get a brace of his hand tied spinner patterns. Love looking at them.

Anyway, in his memory, I am tying some of my own little softies. This one is to be used before, during, and after a PMD hatch. Very simple little flies, but quite effective. AND, they can be false casted a few times and then offered as a dry fly to risers. It really does work that way. Sort of imitates a cripple.

I recognize that I prefer a little more robust and "harrier" softie than most. Just my personal preference.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-10-2013 at 07:53 PM.