+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mifi 2014?

It's okay guys. No need to respond to the interloper. Tried to book a room for the week and two days guiding and they're booked solid. No Ausauble for me this year.

Try the Woodland motel in Grayling. It's only a short drive from Gates. I don't know who to recommend for other guides but the fly shops in town may be able to help out there. Sorry about no response. I guess we just didn't think you really sounded that serious about making it.
    No one is making more water. Use what we have wisely.

Thanx for the response Rainbowchaser. Having a longtime cyber friend in Grayling I'd like to make the trip someday. I also have gone to bamboo rod gatherings around the country in the last few years in my retirement travels. I talked to my friend yesterday and he said the hex hatch makes things kind of crazy in June with everything booked for 30 miles around and most of the fishing at night. He lives right on the river in a fairly small cabin and his daughter is home from school in the summer so no room for us but for general daylight fishing there are other very good times to be there.

I didn't mean to sound to rude and after reading it did come of snotty and I'm not that way at all. Just wanted to find out a few things about the type of group activities you guys participate in and instead seemed to shut the thread down. I wish you guys the best and if you are night fishing the hex be careful out there.

If you like bamboo gatherings google grayrock. It happens about the same time as the fish-in and is a gathering of bamboo enthusiasts. You might be able to attend both.
    No one is making more water. Use what we have wisely.

vicrider;
    I must have missed your first post (Not a happy camper with the new "Fish-In's Forum!). We are planning a meet and greet cookout that will be announced soon. This is a time for us to do some planning for the week as weather is a big factor in what you can do. Thanks to the Hex Hatch things are rather quiet during the day as a lot of "Hex Addicts" are asleep! Kaboom1 & I will be checking into Gate's Lodge early Sunday afternoon on June 22nd. We will be coming down from the Grayrock gathering in Lovell, MI. The Brown Trout Suite at Gates is sort of a gathering spot during the Fish-In before setting off for a days fishing and there is some fly tying in the evening. I think this year the Lodge is offering box lunches for those headed out to fish the river.
    There are few "Scheduled" activities. Meet & Greet, Burger night at "Spikes Keg-O-Nails", Saturday afternoon "Bikini" watch during the Canoe Hatch. However we will make sure that a first timer is never left to his own devise and spends time on the "Holy Waters" with some really good new friends.

I just booked a room for the week at the Woodland Motor Lodge last week. I stayed there during last years MIFI and it was excellent. Rob and Dianne are good people and they have a nice, clean, newly remodeled place. Watch out for the black squirrel! They are very budget friendly and have an even better weekly rate if you are staying 5 nights or more. Guides book up quick. I couldn't get one last year, but a great fella that frequents the woodland was up that week and he put me on some private access on the Mantistee and we did some night fishing for browns.
    Own your failures and so too shall you own your victories.

I'm sure I've said this in other locations of the FOAL Forum but I'm definitely "in" for the MIFI this June. I'm planning to camp this year and have a tent spot reserved at the Camp Grayling Campground for the week. I'm looking forward to additional information about the schedule of events and various things the group has planned for the week. As a "first timer" I throw myself at the mercy of you veterans who have fished this area before, point me in the right direction and let's go have some fun!

Looking forward to more information and details!

Thanks!
    Joe Bertolini

+ Reply to Thread