+ Reply to Thread

Thread: net and pack question

Hybrid View

Question net and pack question

Hey guys! Long time no see. I still try to lurk a lot, but due to comp troubles I don't get to post much. So, first things first, Merry Christmas, just in case I'm not on here again before christmas.

Now, then, on the off chance Santa brings me a Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack, is there anyway to tote a net with it? I want to wear it as a sling pack. I like to take pics of any fish I catch, and I use a net to "hold" the fish, while I'm getting my camera out. Anyway, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I use the same pack and to carry a net I usually shove it in my wading belt if wearing full waders, or inside the waistband of my waist high waders. Both work decently well when using the Waterdance as a sling pack. Otherwise the pack itself doesn't have a means of carrying a net short of clipping it to one of the D rings the shoulder strap attaches to.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Hi Hungntree,
    I also have a waterdance pack that I use in a sling fashion and sometimes as a waist pack as it is intended. On the strap that is supposed to go around the neck, there is a paracord type loop and that is where I attach my net hanger so it is positioned as it would be on my vest. On the belt portion there are numerous areas where you can use one of the "S" biners or the clip type to attach other items like a wading staff. I am not so computer literate as to attach a photo but if you know how to walk me through the process, I can try to e-mail you a photo of my pack, straps and belt. Hope this helps.

I've used a Waterdance for several years and love it. However, it does present a challenge for carrying a net.

After trying several alternatives, I made myself a "net holster" (inspired by http://www.smithcreek.co/net-holster.php) which I am quite happy with. My home made net holster cost less than a dollar and consists of a conduit coupler (hard plastic tube about 3" long and about 1.5" in diameter) and a couple of zip ties. I used the zip ties to attach the coupler in an upright position to some webbing loops on the pack. The handle of my net drops into the tube and the net hoop and bag extend upward. I added a piece of shockcord so I don't walk off without my net.

I usually use my Waterdance with the hip belt and the shoulder strap, so I attached my holster directly to the pack's hip belt. However, if you aren't planning to use the pack's hip belt, you could make a holster in a similar manner and attach it to your wading belt.

Here's a couple of pictures.
    holster1.JPGholster2.JPG
    Last edited by johnstoeckel; 12-08-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Gerri,

So that is what that loop is for! However, the way I wear it (on my hip) that loop sits on my left shoulder so I can't use it for it's intended purpose, but I'm glad to know why it's there.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

+ Reply to Thread