+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help/Advice

Default Help/Advice

I am just about to finish my 4th rod. A 4 pc. 7.5' 4 wt. Forecast.
    1 - I am still struggling getting wraps started! I do eventually get them going and then adjust the spacing from the guide foot (I use a calipers). Is there a trick to this. My wraps are looking aaaah prety good! I don't worry about where I get it started and pull the tag end to opposite the guide.
    2 - I find that it takes only 4 - 5 wraps to lock it in. What is the average or, what do you use?
    3 - How many coats of Color Preserver do you use?
    4 - I have a run on one of my wraps and think I can sand it out! 400 or 600 Wet/Dry paper?
    5 - How far do you extend the wrap epoxy beyond the wrap?
    Now the biggie!! I plan to build rods for Christmas presents. Should/could I buy the kits (H&H of course, "Forecast Blanks"). Present them and let them pick the thread color as I'll have 4 months to build them. Or should I just build them? (One of the recipiants is a lady friend. She likes green and blue!!)

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Blog Entries

I think you ought to just surprise your friends. What a nice gift! I slide my started wraps to get the spacing even, too. My opinion bout the run: are you going to recoat it? You may be able to shave some off with a razor blade, then go 400 to 600 to 1000 and polish with semichrome polish but it will still be dull compared to a new coat of epoxy. Cut sandpaper into a strip and pull back and forth like shining shoes. It's worth a try if the rod is for yourself.This opinion is from when I used to do two part auto paint on custom bicycle frames, much experience with runs in the clearcoat.

Chris & Greg:
    You West Coast guys are a Big Help. I'll build the rod I think they'like. May have to feel them out a little first.
    Now comes the big problem what weight? What a problem to have!
    9' 8 wt. 4 pc. Gold or blue thread for SteelHead.
    You guys agree?

------------------

Jach...after you form an X when starting the wrap put your finger on the X and hold it there as you make 2-3 more turns letting the started wrap rotate under your finger....its hard to discribe but dont let the thread slip as you turn the rod. After you have got it started stop and tighten it up.

I don't use CP

I plan on two coats of finish. I use Flex Coat lite. After the first coat I shave off the fuzzies.

When applying finish I try to just put a little bit past the wrap...maybe a 64th, just enough to seal the end of the wrap.

Jack,

I think Chris hit the bases pretty good..and I second the no color preserver....just never liked the look of the finnished wraps with it..I like the transparent look...that and I want, The finnish to bleed through the thread and get a positive grip on the blank it's self....the color preserver seals the thread so the finnish is merely a coating over the wraps...

Not saying it will, But it can cause a peeling effect between the two layers with the bending and flexing of the rod over time...
    Just some thoughts.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Jack,
    As you know, I know NOTHING about building a rod! I WILL say this though.......SURPRISE 'em!! Anybody who wouldn't appreciate a "Custom Jack" rod would be an ingrate!
    Seriously...follow your gut instinct..they'll LOVE it!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I use CP, and it really depends on what thread you are using and what CP you use to determine how many coats. Back when I was experimenting with Sulky 40, it would take very intensive packing and many coats (up to 6) of flexcoat CP before the finish to get decent results. I've gone back to Gudebrod thead or Sulky metallics only now, and I've switched to Gudebrod 811 CP. It seems to preserve the original color of the thread without darkening it. And I only use 1 or 2 coats of CP now.

This won't be answered in the order asked ...

By all means, build your Christmas rods, or gift rods any time, the way you think they'd like them!

I don't use CP. I like the really deep, jewel tones I get when the epoxy is applied.

Be really careful if you try to slice down a run! It's so easy to slip and scratch the blank. Use an emory board! There are so many different "grits" available (beauty supply store), that you can smooth the drip down, and even finish it off (mostly) with a fine silk grade. Then run a really light finish of epoxy over it.

If you use a "Power Zap" cauterizer to cut/burn your thread close to your wrap, it minimizes the "fuzzies".

I, too, use calipers to get my wrapping "exact". I may be far too AR to properly build rods, but it's sure not stopped me yet! As many times as I re-do the wrappings I've gotten pretty good at them!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I think the majority rules her! She canoes and kayaks quite a bit and has a 7.5' 5 wt.
    She will get a 8.5' - 9' 5 wt. green thread. (her favorite color). He doesn't have a short rod for some of the small streams we fish so a 7' 7.5' 3-5 wt. blue thread. I've picked the weights so they don't have to go out and by new reels and lines right away.
    Betty, they both say I'm to AR also!!

------------------

I think when it comes to building a rod...especially for someone else....You should be nothing if not....AR...lol...I've seen rods done by the over zellous.....and they sure ain't pretty... there is nothing more painful in this world, Than to see an old so called restored Bammie that has sags and runs in the finnish...and spaces that you can see from mars in the windings....My bro in-law got the riot act for years over a rod he did for one of his friends....and not from the friend either....!!!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread