+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survey question

I guess you would say I too am all in. President of a fishing club, treasurer of a casting club, FFF CI. I own a summer cottage where I am past pres. and current treasurer of the cottagers' association. However, when younger it was tennis, then wilderness camping where there is not much time to fish, skiing, plus drumming and music full time. And of course there was raising a family when everything was viewed from that perspective. I guess I am justan ?all in? type of guy.
    So my point is twofold. Everyone is 'all in' to one or a few things at any given time, and that changes over the years (and with accumulated years). Some people are more 'all in' including social groups and organizations, and some are just quietly 'all in' enjoying hobbies and interests on their own. I think the stage of life and your activity level have a lot to do it.
    Now back to planning the next fly tying meeting.

I live in the golden triangle of Yellowstone, Idaho and Montana in the Summer and the desert in the Winter so climate and location calls the shots. Four months of daily fishing against eight months of none. I do think about it those eight months but definitely not all in.

Gents et al,
    Thanks for the great responses even to my not so clear question. My intent in asking same was/is to find out how involved "into" flyfishing y'all are. That, to find out just what quantity/quality of involvement causes y'all to feel comfortable in this forum. I personally feel comfortable bearing even my stated shortcomings as to flyfishing. Thankfully there is the Sound Off forum where I seem to mostly "reside" . When I do flyfish , once a year for about 3 weeks in Wyoming, I'm ALL IN, but other than for that short period, flyfishing is not something I think about, Having said all that however, I still feel comfortable here , warm and cuddly...........oh wait................

Mark

I can't be all in, as I only can fish a few days a year, and at least one of the species I target cannot be taken on the fly.

But when I fish, I flyfish most of the time.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Sadly, I'm no longer in at all any more as I can no longer do it due to neuropathy. But I was all in for several years. Moving waters only.

I enjoyed catching (and releasing) trout, but that was not my motivation. I fished moving waters because of the concentration required. Concentration that made it impossible to think about anything else. Interrupted briefly at times, but times that gave m an opportunity to savor and appreciate my beautiful surroundings. Technicolor zen!

Flyfishing is the only pastime that I dwell on year around. At certain periods throughout the year it nearly consumes me. I love to tie flies as much as fish for the most [art....and writing about it has been a life-long passion as well.

Not much into the organization thing. Not crazy about clubs and such. I'm admittedly very selfish with my time afield in all outdoor things. I share it with family, and close friends mostly.

That being said....when Spring Gobbler arrives, I'm "all-in". And when archery season rolls around I'm "all-in".

I like to fish, and I do it all troll with leadcore, use spinning gear, fly fish, jig, even live bait. (I actually got into fly fishing by getting into tying trolling streamers) It really depends on where I'm going to fish, I reach for the fly rod more often than not but most of my gear is in the truck if I need it. Some days throwing metal just works better. Haven't joined any clubs or organizations devoted to just fishing, was part of some local fish and game clubs/outdoor clubs in the past, but having moved I haven't retained membership.

The past 5 years I am of the occasional flyfishing sort. I don't get much chance to get out anymore as my kids activities take priorities these days. I do enjoy the 5 to 10 days I do get out. I tie fly more than I fish, but I started out in this sport tying flies.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I love fly fishing, but I can't say I am "all in". However, I am all about "fishing" in general. It is my hobby, my relaxation, my passion. If I am not doing it, I am thinking about it, talking about it, or dreaming about it.

Mike
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

+ Reply to Thread