+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: would you buy from a small flyfishing company

Default would you buy from a small flyfishing company

Over the last few years there have been a few small top end fly fishing company's pop up around the country. I am curios if you would buy a rod or reel from a small company? some new company's import product (rods or reels) and resell them for cheap. Maybe add some engraving or have their own colors but basically are an import company. There are some others that build their product here and are competing with top end product at the upper levels of the price range. These company's are designing and building their own products. I am curios if you go into a fly shop and they carry Sage, Scott, Orvis ect. and a lesser known product advertizing top performance and by examining the product has top of the line components. Would you feel comfortable spending your money on a small company that you may of not heard of before?
    -Jeff

Absolutely, if the product is good quality, and priced acceptably. I nearly danced a jig when Orvis finally offered a quality machined single action reel at a fair price-point. I looked high-and-low for exactly that from anybody...but it was not to be found. I think the niche for a new company right now is not "the next best thing", but rather redefining some of the classics that the others have left behind but folks still want.

Just my two cents.

Ralph

If I thought the product was something I'd like, I'd support the shop in a NY minute. Hey, I just got a new catalog that had some Sage fly rods at over $1,000 and a few other brands at over $800! Are these companies kidding. I have about a dozen rods I built on blanks and the total cost to build each rod was easily less than $75. I've had some excellent casters try these rods and they gave them great reviews and couldn't believe what they cost to build. By the way, what does 'Top End' mean? Top price? Top cosmetics? It certainly cannot mean 'top performance' because that entirely depends on the user.

Allan

If I had years of experience and knowledge in the FF world, yes, but with my limited knowledge, I would be hesitant to. Would also depend on if I was allowed to take a demo out for a "spin" or whether I could return the rod/reel if in good/NIB condition and exchange for a "name brand". Most local shops will let you demo their stuff so you have a "idea" if you like it or not but every shop is different due to different owners.

On something like a high end rod, if I'd never heard of the company, I'd do some research first. But there are a number of small rod companies, that I know something about, and I would have no qualms about buying their products.

I personally would not. Too many small companies go belly up and you end up with a rod that/reel that has no service and no value on resale.

It would have to be a very unusual product that has advantages above and beyond comparable products. The LAW vise would be an example.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 12-04-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Where would Cabela's be today if no one bought their mail order flies in 1961? Almost all businesses start out small. Some make it, some don't. When Sportsman Warehouse opened their big outdoors store in Victorville, CA a few years ago we were all happy to have a place to shop. They stayed open less than 6 months and closed their doors.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

This is a very good question and should generate some good chatter. I, for one, am not "hung up" on name brands for my fly fishing equipment. I have way too many rods and reels now and that is just a part of this sport. I have reels with the "big name/well known" brands on them and I have reels with absolutely no names on them. I have fly rods with the "big name/well known" on them and I have fly rods with absolutely no names on them. For my everyday fishing I use a 9' 5wt that was developed by a small company and it has no name on it and I could care less about where it was assembled. This rod just feels good in my hand, casts effortlessly, very light in the hand and just does everything I want from a fly rod. I have had others ask to use it and they are impressed until they discover it is not a "big name" brand. The reel on this rod has no name on it and is smooth as butter. I get the same responses from others who have used it. They are very impressed until they discover it has no "big name" on it. Fly rods and reels, to me, are just tools and nothing more and as long as these "tools" are of good quality and perform well for me, I will continue to use them. I do not "hang out at the fly shops" and participate in "show and tell" with equipment. I just go fishing as much as I possibly can and enjoy the sport.

If a person is a well known guide and makes their living by doing this, then they probably have a sponsor and they need to promote their sponsor's gear because the sponsor is saving them a ton of money for equipment plus the sponsor may be doing some free PR for the guide. The clients of the guide will probably break more rods and reels then one could afford to replace, so, the sponsor takes care of that and, therefore, the guide needs to use the big name brand products and needs to promote them.

This is a really loaded question and the answers will be many because it all depends on who and what the person using the equipment is using it for. I think a person getting into the fly fishing sport will start out with no name equipment or at least the "bottom priced" equipment to see if fly fishing is something they want to do and then they will progress up the price range with their equipment until they find what works for them. Some fly fish because the sport allows them to "rub shoulders" with someone who they feel will be able to do something for them and they want to be using the "big name" products just for show. Some just like to be "walking billboards" and "talking" fly fishing. Some are guides and this dictates what equipment they will be purchasing and they feel that the higher priced equipment shows their clients how good of a guide they are. Then you have fly fishermen like me, who just enjoys the rivers, the surroundings, the peace and quiet, the challenge and the solitude. I do not need top end equipment to enjoy what I enjoy the most from fly fishing. I just need equipment that is comfortable to fish with all day and equipment that gets the job done and I can afford.

I honestly feel that there is a "corner" in the fly fishing equipment market now that more equipment companies need to address and that is good quality at an affordable price. I feel there are a lot of fly fishermen, like me, who started out with less costly equipment and as the years went by, they have purchased the higher priced equipment and are now back to using the mid-priced equipment because they can no longer afford the "top-end" and have discovered that the mid-priced equipment will produce the same results as name brand equipment but affordable. There have been too many experiments performed where a very good caster is handed a top brand expensive rod and a mid priced rod and neither is marked and the very good caster struggles to be able to tell the two apart.

It all boils down to purchasing and using what you can afford and purchasing equipment that works for you.

Everything I have stated so far is just my feelings and thoughts and is not meant to ruffle anyone's feathers. To each their own as long as they enjoy using a fly rod and reel and enjoy the sport.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

One key factor not really discussed above is warranty. If you wanted to compete at the high end of the market, you'd be up against established companies, around for decades, that often back up their top of the line products with extended or lifetime warranties. My hesitance would be in wondering whether the new company would be around long enough to service or replace equipment years hence.

This summer I had the chance to tour the rod shop at Orvis in Manchester, Vermont. One of the striking things is how much of their floor space was devoted to refurbishing or replacing warranteed merchandise. The tour guide said that in order to effectively fulfill their 25 year warranties, they had to continue to manufacture or have in inventory all products made and sold by them since 1988. That's a pretty big commitment and might give a small new high end company pause.

I AM buying new equipment from here next. I have no affiliation with them. look at the pics, and tell me they are not familiar...

http://www.aliexpress.com/category/1...218&isrefine=y
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread