+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I missed trout... Black Hills Creek Chub Fishing

Thumbs up I missed trout... Black Hills Creek Chub Fishing

I posted a few reports this spring and then disappeared. I accepted an internship where I had limited access to internet and even less access to trout streams. Thankfully I made it back to the Black Hills over the Thanksgiving weekend and found a few hours to get out on the water.

Went to one of my favorite holes, only to find that the devastating blizzard the Black Hills suffered the first week of October had deposited several trees in the water where the fish usually were. I tried a few runs around the pool to no avail. Eventually I moved to a new spot and on my first cast hooked up with this fat little rainbow trout... errr creek chub (because I remember learning that there are no trout in the Black Hills).

thanksgiving rbt.jpg

While fighting the fish I realized that my waders were no longer waterproof. Despite the fact that the air had reached a cozy 60 degrees, the water was still absolutely frigid. I gave the spot two more casts before the loss of feeling in my foot convinced me to head back to dry land.

Considering I hadn't seen a trout nearly all summer, I considered the trip an immense success.

Tight lines

Nice Chub!

Colorful CHUNKY Creek Chub!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dang Skippy!!!! Very nice chubber there. :-0
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

If only all my chubs looked that nice!!!!
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

Hmm...after all these years of Ms. Betty telling us there are no trout in the Black Hills, I was beginning to wonder what all those nicely colored fish were that I had been catching. Glad you cleared that up for me. That is one nice looking chub!

The funny thing is, there must be more than one variety of chub in the Black Hills because I've caught some with other colors as well.

Very nice looking creek chub!! It's nice that the Black Hills have chubs for us, seein's they don't have trouts! And, yes, Royce. There are various types of creek chubs. All more beautiful than the last!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Guess I am late to the party...who said there are no trout in the Black Hills?

I thought I was catching some, years ago, on Rapid a Creek right in Rapid City......

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac071403.php
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-17-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Byron, it's well known that there are no trouts in the Black Hills. What you found in RC in town were golf chubs. Very nice fish without a doubt ... but no one would want to go to South Dakota, especially the Black Hills areas, for the purpose of hunting trouts. It's much easier this way.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread