+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Classic Kingfisher Restoration and Rebuild.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Elk,WA
    Posts
    767
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    hay lotech i'll post up some photos soon been working on some other things

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    northeast Minnesota
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Everything I've seen so far looks like a work of art! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Elk,WA
    Posts
    767
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Sorry for the delay in updates. I have been working on a few other projects and had sidelined this rod for a bit. Over the last few days as we get ready to dip the rod I started on my finish work, I have now re-epoxied the furals onto the rod and started to wrap them. I will say that I'm not happy with the size of the step the furals cause so I?m thinking about how to fix this for a nice clean wrap. Also upon a closer inspection I found that the original reel seat did not allow for a proper fit of the reel feet. To fix this I needed to remove the whole seat and re-cut the thumbnail. In having to do this, I learned that my glue job was a in fact a very good one as the only thing to let go after soaking the seat in boiling water for a while, was the connecting rod and hood. With this rod being broken I now needed to drill out the 3/8 hole to remove the old rod. I also needed to change the reel seat wood as, no matter what I did the one that I used was not willing to work with me. The old wood finally gave up the seat hard ware after leaving it directly on the wood stove for an hour and I still had to struggle to remove the hardware. The new Seat wood has been sanded and polished and a coat of minwax added. After one more coat of minwax I will be had whipping on a few coats of helmsman to give the seat a glasslike shine.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Elk,WA
    Posts
    767
    Blog Entries
    3

    Cool All finished

    Ok so finally the kingfisher is all done. dipped and ready to fish!!



    • In finishing the Kingfisher I found that the furals had too much of a step to neatly wrap as is. What was done was a two part plumbers epoxy was used and shaped while keeping wet then wrapping after it dried and sanded.
    • Another shot of the finished grip.
    • this is a shot of the tiptop and mid section female
    • A shot of the lettering and of the winding check from the original grip.
    • this is the tip in the original rod holder.
    • this is a shot of the but section in the rod holder
    • This is the re covered rod holder that was original to the rod
    • This is the new sock
    • This is a closer view of the grain of the seat

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nunica Mi U S A
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Definitely looking better than when I had it. Now you just need to generate some fish pictures with it.
    No one is making more water. Use what we have wisely.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts