+ Reply to Thread

Thread: December 2nd 2012 "Fly Of The Week"?

Hybrid View

Default December 2nd 2012 "Fly Of The Week"?

This is a first for FAOL, "NO FLY OF THE WEEK", many members of FAOL have been posting Fly Pattern on the Fly Tying Board, but they do not submit thier "Fly Patterns" to FAOL....

Many of the fly patterns on the Fly Tying Board have submitted FOTW articles in the past...

So what is the problem with sending in the fly pattern posted on the FAOL Fly Tying Board to FAOL for the "Fly Of The Week"?

Currently I am busy trying to fill the 10 positions for the 2014 Beginner's Fly Swaps, Swaps I have been holding since 2002... ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

"Currently I am busy trying to fill the 10 positions for the 2014 Beginner's Fly Swaps, Swaps I have been holding since 2002... ~Parnelli"

You make a good point on no one posting a FOTW and I will attempt to submit one soon. I have submitted some in the past, but, not that many and have become lax and will try and pick up the pace.

As far as your Beginner's Fly Swaps, I also volunteer to help with disabled vets and one of them and I fish a lot when we can and he has been to my home and I have worked some with him on fly tying. He called me today and asked for help getting registered here on FAOL. He has been trying and has not been too successful. He is very interested in getting in your Fly Swaps and I have told him he would learn a lot from them and he would enjoy them. I finally gave him Neil's e-mail address (I hope Neil does not get upset about that) and told him to e-mail Neil and see if Neil can walk him through getting on FAOL.

I, for one, really appreciate all you have done and still doing for FAOL.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

May I suggest a possible solution?
    Can the admin simply "lift" the SBS from the board (with posters permission, not that it would be required, since once it is posted it is property of FAOL, but it would be nice) and paste it as a FOTW? Most of the SBS have been complete enough that it would only need a little editing to make it FOTW-able.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I believe that one of the reasons for a lack of FOTW patterns is the lack of appreciation being shown by members of FAOL.

I have seen noticed that sometimes a pattern would be posted and the response by the members might be only one or two.

Makes a guy wonder why bother.

Tim

AND, on the other hand, there are some of us ( I, included-( perhaps too much of an admission) and I'll wager, MOST of us) who don't know a Caddis fly from a house fly , and, although appreciate the efforts and contributions of y'all who tie your own, feel unqualified to post comments other than "nice fly". I have been fly fishing for a "hunnert" years and have NEVER felt shorted onaccounta my ignorance in that regard. FAOL seems ,recently, to be a bit heavier on the "laughs" and "birthdays" posts, perhaps supporting my original thesis, than on the the nuances of the sport. FAOL recently has become more of a social networking medium for folks of a "similar" interest. At risk of being accused of speaking for others, the FOTW submissions are appreciated, certainly by me and probably by most if us. I'ts just for the reason cited that I feel the responses are anemic.
    This is only my opinion, and, as Dennis Miller oft adds " I could be wrong".

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    This is a first for FAOL, "NO FLY OF THE WEEK", many members of FAOL have been posting Fly Pattern on the Fly Tying Board, but they do not submit thier "Fly Patterns" to FAOL....

Many of the fly patterns on the Fly Tying Board have submitted FOTW articles in the past...

So what is the problem with sending in the fly pattern posted on the FAOL Fly Tying Board to FAOL for the "Fly Of The Week"?

Currently I am busy trying to fill the 10 positions for the 2014 Beginner's Fly Swaps, Swaps I have been holding since 2002... ~Parnelli
    Funny, I found one....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw...tw20131202.php
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

what is the procedure for submitting a fly for fotw

Write the directions and take the photos to show the process. Make a word doucment and sent into Neil.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread