+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod building supplier

Default Rod building supplier

Okay, I did some wrapping today, realized that pale yellow thread on an old, dark yellow blank was not a great idea! Switched to black thread, much better. Now, where is the best place to get rod building supplies such as preservatives, guides, seats etc.
    Thanks,
    Mike

I like Hook and Hackle, or Jann's Netcraft. I lean towards Hook and Hackle as they are a sponsor here.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I've had terrific luck with Mud Hole. Great product selection, good prices and excellent service. I've made a few rods on yellow blanks and I've found that garnet colored thread with no color preserver makes a very pretty rod. If you use color preserver, then the thread tends to retain it's original color when you apply the epoxy coating. If you don't use color preserver, the garnet thread turns a dark almost translucent mahogany color that looks great with yellow. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

So this is where we get answers on rod building. Foolish me, I thought it was in the Rod Building forum.

Sorry guys and gals, just couldn't resist, although I do think this should be in the Rod Building forum and not in Fly Tying.
    Last edited by holensum; 12-02-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Added confused emoticon
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I have good luck with Mud Hole. If you are only interested in fly rods you may want to check J Stockard. Mud Hole has some great videos and offers weekend classes around the country.

I'm confused, this appears to be in the rod building section. Did it get moved? Yep! DC

This is the correct section isn't it?

Thanks for confirming Dennie.

Bill
    Last edited by billhouk; 12-03-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Not to be difficult, but I thought I had put this is in rod building. If I erred, I apologize and thank the admin for moving it.
    Mike

I'd second all the above, and add eBay to the mix. You can find everything there.

I am partial to Mudhole only because it is a Florida based store.

for guides, buying direct from Mike at snake guides. He is a great guy with a top notch product. The guys at hook and hackle are good to work with and also mudhole. for cork it gets tougher. I buy alot of components and I chose my components on quality and if its made in the USA. top shelf components are expensive but there are plenty of suppliers out there.
    -Jeff

+ Reply to Thread