+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TenkaraBum Now Has Rigs Tenkara Lines For Sale

Default TenkaraBum Now Has Rigs Tenkara Lines For Sale

http://www.tenkarabum.com/rigs-float...kara-line.html

And I have a question for Chris: If you run the lilian through the girth hitch twice (just like you do with the slip noose line to lilian connection knot), do you really need to put a knot in the end of your lilian? I have been doing it that way for some time now, and so far so good as far as slipping and line loss are concerned. Give it a try and see what you think.
    Last edited by Golden; 11-30-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Golden, I use the lines designed for a girth hitch just the way you do. I do not have knots in the lillians on my rods. I put the lillian through the loop in the girth hitch twice and tighten it carefully. I have not lost a line yet from doing that. I have had people report losing lines shortly after I did a blog post saying you don't need the knot.

The problem is that after you have put the lillian through the girth hitch loop twice, depending on how you tighten the hitch, the connection either will hold or won't hold (with the level line connection, it always holds). After you put the lillian through the loop in the girth hitch twice, hold the end of the lillian and the rod tip between the thumb and forefinger of one hand and pull the line to tighten the girth hitch with the other hand. Then it will hold.

girth-hitch-loop.jpgthrough-twice.jpgwill-hold.jpgwont-hold.jpg

The first photo shows the loop in the end of the line doubled over to form a girth hitch.
    The second photo shows the lillian inserted through the loop twice, and then doubled back and held together with the rod tip.
    The third photo shows an attachment that will hold. (Be sure to test it with steady pressure though, to make sure it won't slip.)
    The fourth photo shows an attachment, constructed the same way (through the loop twice) but tightened around a straight lillian rather than tightened with the lillian held doubled back at the rod tip. This connection will slip.

On the RIGS page, I say to put a knot in the lillian because it is more foolproof. When you have a knot that will either hold or fail depending only on how you tighten the knot, I don't want to risk having people lose a brand new line just because they tightened the knot wrong.

girth-hitch-with-knot.jpg

With a knot in the end of the lillian, passing the lillian through the girth hitch, tightening the hitch and sliding it down to butt up against the knot is simple and works every time. I wouldn't tie the knot in the lillian too tightly, though, because I would untie it to disassemble the rod so all the sections can dry after each use.
    Last edited by CM_Stewart; 12-01-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    Tenkara Bum

Chris, thank you so much for answering my question so quickly and completely and the great photos. And yes I do the loop back and held at the rod tip method the same way as you are doing it, whether I am using the slip noose or the girth hitch methods of line to lillian attachment. Your pictures, especially if they are clicked on to make them bigger, really makes what you have said easy to see and understand. Thanks again for going to the time it took and trouble you went to, to post those great pictures....Golden.

+ Reply to Thread