+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick question

Question A quick question

Is a Pflueger Medalist model #1492 1/2 REVERSABLE to be a left hand crank ?

I recently gave my old one to a young fisherman and then remembered that, as a lefty, I'd been using it for years as a right hand crank. Back when I started fly fishing ALL reels were right hand crank. Thanks.

I found one place where a gentleman said that the 1492 1/2 is not reversible and then the next post stated the following and that is the best answer I can come up with at this time, but, there are a lot of fly fishermen using these and I feel sure someone with more knowledge will jump in here, I hope.

You can push the pin out that prevents pawl rotating and rotate the pawl. This will set the reel up for LHW. You can't use the line guard unless you drill holes and move it, but you can get the LHW bias on the drag tension.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

It looks like the 1942 and 1942 1/2 was made to be RHW only.

People have changed them to LHW. Here is some info that I found:
    http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...hp?f=4&t=14731

I thought that there was a way to reverse it to a left hand retrieve. Perhaps this link will be helpful. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ist-reels.html

Jim Smith

Not to change the subject or hijack this thread but since we are on the subject of Pflueger reels, I have often wondered what the line designations are for the 1495 and the various other pflueger reels that seem to be identified only by numbers. I know that these reels have been a big part of American angling history and are truly workhorses that are still sought after today. Also is there something about the "made in Akron" factor that adds to their value besides historical value? Been wondering for a long time.

To Gerri: In my personal experience I always a simple procedure. I pay only limited attention to line recommendations for a reel. Since I have very seldom had to resort to using any backing when fishing I will make my decision based on the rod specs. If you think the reel will be balanced for a rod, put the line on the reel and add whatever backing that will fit, then just swap the set end for end. I'm matching the whole reel setup to a rod, not the line to a reel.

to see if the rel is reversable, remove the line spool. looking at the spool shaft, attached to the reel body, you should see a nylon/teflon bushing with a number of slots in it around the spool shaft. if the reel is reversable you should see two small screws holding the bushing onto the reel body. remove the screws, pull the bushing off of the reel shaft and turn it over. re-install the screws. you have now changed the direction of the reel.

i might caution that when you remove the pushing, it will uncover a spring loaded pin. dont loose it and make sure it is in its hole when you reinstall the bushing. without the pin, the drag will not work.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by john52948 View Post
    i might caution that when you remove the pushing, it will uncover a spring loaded pin. dont loose it and make sure it is in its hole when you reinstall the bushing. without the pin, the drag will not work.
    And the pin has to be turned 180 so the pointy bit is facing the other direction to click into the notches of the bushing - crucial.

You may find this interesting......http://www.flyfishohio.com/Anglers_G...r_Medalist.htm'

The 1492 and 1492 1/2 were designed as RHW only.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

or you could go the one pfoot route.

https://www.onepfoot.com/Products.ph...t=6&category=1
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread