+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice sought

Question Advice sought

I've been offered a brand new rod for sale that has never been out of the extra carrying case. It is a Lefty Kreh Signature 9'-0" 10 weight. It is a cosmetically perfect item from an estate. While I've been fly fishing for many decades I have never even cast anything over a 6 weight. Would this be a good rod for bass? Would a really old guy, like me, have trouble handling such a heavy rod? And what would be a fair price? Thanks.

10wt might be a bit much for bass, unless you're trying to horse big ones out of the salad; it would certainly cast most bass flies under just about any conditions. I'd take that thing down to the Sound for stripers, blues and false albacore. Can't say it won't feel any different than casting EHCs on a 4wt, but as long as you don't spend the whole day tossing heavily weighted flies, you should be okay; and anyway, it'll be a good kind of tired.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 11-27-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Ray,

Is this the 2-piece Signature fly rod? If, it is, it is the least expensive rod that TFO makes and can still be purchased for around $129. Many years ago, I purchased the Signature series in a 5wt and really liked fishing it. It has a great warranty. Only you will be able to tell, by casting it, if it will be too much rod for you to use. Most bass fly fishers use nothing larger than an 8wt.

I wish I could provide more answers for you other than what I have posted here. Hopefully, someone in-the-know will respond and provide more help.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Ray,

A 10 weight rod is a very specialized rod and it is really heavy when you add the 10 weight line. It won't take very long before you are having cramps in your hand and your arm and shoulder will start hurting. It is a lot of weight to cast. A 7 weight rod would be good for bass. Just my opinion. Larry ---sagefisher---

I've fished a good bit of saltwater with a 10wt (9 & 11, too) and have never had cramps in my hands or arms from casting - fighting fish, yes but not casting. Like I said, I think it's a function of what you're throwing - EP minnows, Deceivers, etc on a floating line weren't all that taxing, big Clousers, Half & Halfs on a Teeny T-450 are another story.

Regards,
    Scott

I sometimes use a 10wt for largemouth bass but only for a narrow range of situations like casting 8" to 12" flies that imitate stocked rainbow trout or for casting very large top water patterns.

Most of my bass fishing is with 5 through 8 wt rods.

A 10 wt can become tiring to cast if you are not accustomed to casting a rod that size all day, even more so if your casting stroke is not efficient.

I owned an 8 once. Cork fell apart. Don't snag a tree/mangrove. The tip can't take it. The replacement didn't last one trip. I wouldn't take it if it were free.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by smij; 11-28-2013 at 04:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread