+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Organizing articles from magazines

Hybrid View

Default Organizing articles from magazines

Okay, being organizationally challenged, I am thinking about how best to utilize the articles I have turned down the pages in back issues of Fly Tyer. No, I really don't want to buy a scanner and spend the rest of my days scanning endlessly, although that would give me seconds of enjoyment. I was thinking about, oh no, ripping the articles out and putting them in plastic sleeves then in a 3 ring binder. Any other thoughts, the ripping of the magazines seems almost too destructive to me!
    Thanks,
    Mike

If info rich- Fly Tyer, Fly Fishing and Tying to name just a few stack them in a file cabinet, by year, with a post-it note on the front listing flies, articles, etc on the inside. If only a few interesting articles, ( the mags you find for free in fly shops, etc. I purchase some page protecter sleeves and place them in a 3 tab folder or a 3 ring binder. I have a binder for: Saltwater, Warm water, techniques etc. On snowy afternoons, when I scan through these I find myself weeding a lot out from these binders because the same info is on the internet.

If you don't want to destroy the magazines and still have room to store them in an accessible manner, I'd suggest creating an index or list of the articles of interest. Just create a list the articles of interest along with issue number and page number. Then you can scan / search the list when you're looking for something and retrieve the article. You can use whatever you like to create the list -- pen and paper or a software such as Word, Excel, or Evernote. You could get fancy and add tags or categories (eg, "Dry Flies", "Nymphs") to make search and sorting your list a little easier.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I have thought about photocopying the indices and using those. I may buckle down and use John's idea. Take the laptop downstairs and start typing!
    Any other ideas welcome.
    Mike

Geez, if you are going to go through that much effort, then scan them into PDF's and put them in Evernote. Much more sensible in the long run.

The only problem with scanning them is buying a scanner that does decent quality and doesn't take an hour to do a page. I tried a scanner years ago and man, took forever to scan one page! Any thoughts on a scanner? I'm willing to think in or out of the box.
    Thanks,
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread