+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about lines for Bamboo rod

Default Questions about lines for Bamboo rod

Hi folks,
    After many years of wishing, I finally purchased a nice boo rod. The rod is built on a Garrison taper and is rated for a 5wt line. The gentleman I purchased the rod from said he thought it cast better with a six weight line. I am wondering if perhaps a line specifically for boo might be a better option...like a Cortland Sylk. Does anyone have any experience with that line or any other suggestions before I plunk down money for a line that won't work well. I am nervous about overlining a bamboo rod that may be too stressed and break before I have a chance to fish it.
    Thanks in advance for your help

A six on a five should not break a rod. It is best in my opinion is to cast several lines to find what works for that rod and YOU. I have several rods that folks say work well with a 5 while my casting stroke says 6. The reason for a Sylk line is that it is smaller in diameter to better fit through the old small diameter guides. If you rod was built recently any new line will work. Many folks like a Wulff tri angle taper. Then another like Cortland 333 that is also a thin line.

Folks can't say what will work best for you. I use real silk on all of my cane rods, though I have a DT6 Sylk for my 7 ft Battenkill. I have a new rod that is a clone of a Leonard 39 7 1/2 ft and it cast a 6 or 5 well but it will not cast a 4 at least for me.

Blog Entries

another vote for the Wulff TT line. overlining can be done with an SA Mastery line which is about half a weight heavier than what's on the label. my 4 wt behaves better that way, but the 5 does not. borrow several different lines to see how your rod works. not only are all casters individuals, all bamboo rods are individuals too!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I have the Sylk line and like it. I haven't tried the Wulff TT line.

Randy

I second the borrow different lines and try and see what you like idea.

I have two bamboo rods and when I first got one I was afraid I would break it. You won't. You will be very surprised of the strength.

Using a heavier line changes the feel of the rod and the timing of the load for your cast. Hope that made sense? It's a feel thing.

I don't have a drag on my bamboo fly rods so I haven't been afraid of fish breaking the rod.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Blog Entries

gerri,

I have a bamboo rod, use it for pocket water fishing on small streams/creeks. I opted for a modern fly line, one weight over the suggested 4 wt, because I will only be casting very short distances.

Back in the old days they used to use anything they could to make a line but the 'best' was horse tail hairs. Then they discovered silk and that was the best. It took a lot of maintenance to keep the silk afloat however. Eventually we ended up with our modern lines. Take your pick but it you collect horse tail hairs watch out for their kick, it can really lay you out.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I'm curious about the leaders on these rods. What works best? I'm making the strands Furled silk leaders. I've heard there is nothing like casting a silk line on a bamboo rod, and was curious if different leaders created different experiences as well.

Brandon

I fish silk 99% of the time on my cane rods and use a furled leader. I have used several different leaders in the last few years. The leader I am using now is Zen thread leaders. The reason being is floats like a champ and I don't have to worry about dressing it. I do dress my silk line every time I fish. Now you ask what's the difference. Well the line has a coating on it which, because of it's nature is stiff whereas the leader does not have a coating and is flexible as if it comes off the thread spool.

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I have the Sylk line and like it.
    I have a Sylk on mine 1+

With a couple dozen bamboo rods of all manner of makes, lengths, tapers and conditions in my quiver, I can tell you it's a very personal choice, so experiment. Bamboo is an extremely strong and resilient material (they build scaffolds out of it to construct skyscrapers in the Orient), so don't fear breaking it with a particular line choice. In fact, I've found bamboo rods to be quite tolerant of a range of line weights and types. My personal favorites are the Wulff TT lines and Cortland Peach lines, though many other makes and weights will work as well.

+ Reply to Thread