Hugh,

I know about lake fishing for winter bass, never done any winter bass fishing in moving waters...

Winter can be tough on the bass angler. Cold water means slower metabolisms (less active fish). The bass will focus on two things, finding a comfortable temperature/oxygen level, and finding enough food to survive.

In colder water, this usually means deep water. You can find bass VERY deep in winter, if your lakes have the depth. I don't like to use a fly rod for deeper than 25 feet or so, and if the bass are deeper than that, I just don't fish for them. But if you can get to them, you can catch some nice fish from cold water.

Winter basics are simple. Fish slow, then slow way down. Use larger flies, bass are looking for as big a meal as they can get with as little energy expense as possible. Did I mention to fish slow? Use a sinking line, fish on the bottom and as close to any cover on the bottom as you can. Make sure to make as long a cast as you can and let the fly sink all the way down before you start moving it. A very slow hand twist retrieve is your best option this time of year. To keep control of your fly, you'll want to be in an anchored boat or standing on the shore. ANY 'drift' is way too fast this time of year. Make multiple casts to any target. By multiple, I mean more than five. Bass are unlikely to chase a fly this time of year. If it's not right in front of them, they probably won't eat it. Keep your line as tight as possible. Takes can be very subtle, and feeling a strike is much more difficult this time of year.

Where to fish is also simple: Fish main lake points that extend to the deepest water. Stay out of shallow areas, coves, and bays. I always try to fish in areas that I know hold fish. You just can't cover a lot of water this time of year, so pick the best spots and fish them thoroughly.

You can take some of the largest fish of the year in the winter months, but it's generally not numbers fishing. One or two good strikes a day is a good day. Anything over that is outstanding.

Good Luck!

Buddy