+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old but still naive

Question Old but still naive

I'm far from a good caster and have always used the suggested line weights for any rod. However, I have an old tiny 5' 3" glass Fenwick Ferrulite that calls for a 5 wgt. line. I don't have one but am wondering what results if I were to get one. Would it be better for use in small woodland streams? Thanks.

Ray;
    If you have a 6 wt. line try it before buying a 5wt. line. It may slow the action just right for the small streams.

I have that rod and use it with a five weight dt line. It's a fun rod to fish, especially with small dry flies. I am comfortable with it on all but the biggest West Michigan streams. On the Muskegon or the Manistee I would definitely choose a longer rod for easier mending.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I have one of those that has quite a history. It was found about 30 miles west of where the Teton Dam broke in 1976. I bought it from a dozer operator who found it sticking out of a pile of debris. I think I gave him $25 for it. If only it could tell it's own story! I use a 6 wt. on it and it does quite well on the small to midsize streams here in SE Idaho.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I confess. I'm getting senile. The sentence I forgot to include was that I wanted to see if a FOUR wgt. line to be suitable. That is the size I don't have. Wow !

Blog Entries

Ray, not to worry about getting senile. As for using a 4 weight line. You can but to get a proper load on the rod you will have to be casting a long way, meaning you will need a lot of line out before the rod properly loads. Personally I never under line but I will often over line. I like to get the rod to load up fast so it is doing most of the work and not me. Larry ---sagefisher---

WOW! It sure would be interesting to know the rest of that rod's story.

Ray, I would put that 4 WT on that glass rod and give it a try. I made a rod with a Fenwick blank which was marked a 6WT. many years ago. I fished it with a 6 and then graphite came along and I put that glass Fenwick aside for a number of years. When I tried it again, I used a 4 Wt with it and it casts great!

You won't like it at all..... just package it up and send it to me.
    I wouldn't under line it, personally. It will turn into a broomstick and lose a lot of what it was intended for.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread