+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Traveling/Flying with Wet Waders

Hybrid View

Default Traveling/Flying with Wet Waders

Hello All,
    I am flying in a few weeks to hit the Lake Erie Tribs for my first steelhead trip. This is also the first time I am flying for a fishing trip.
    Its a two day trip. I don't need to shlep rods and reels this time (although I would in the future). Anyone have a good recommendation for a bag that flies well and has a space for wet waders (or another tip to fly with wet waders).

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish View Post
    Hello All,
    I am flying in a few weeks to hit the Lake Erie Tribs for my first steelhead trip. This is also the first time I am flying for a fishing trip.
    Its a two day trip. I don't need to shlep rods and reels this time (although I would in the future). Anyone have a good recommendation for a bag that flies well and has a space for wet waders (or another tip to fly with wet waders).
    I've used 2 trash bags (the big ones); never any problem with leakage. Same with wading shoes.

Regards,
    Scott

Plastic lawn bags.
    Have a great trip.

Blog Entries

You can buy large ziplock bags typically used for clothing storage at most discount stores. Zip your waders in one, boots in another, and stick them in your luggage. Don't leave them in there or they will mold, but it will get you home.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx

I usually put a couple of old towels in the bottom of the garbage bags to help absorb some of the moisture.
    Lay them out immediately when you get home or where ever, so that it all dries out good.
    I try not to use the cheap garbage bags, the big zip locs are much heavier.

Joe

You don't really say what kind of waders you have. Neoprene might hold more moisture/water than Gortex/breathable types.

Typically I can remove my breathable waders, turn them inside out so the inside dries out, then reverse them so right side is out and it dries (i.e. booties dry )--takes about 8 hours. Works great if fishing all day and then traveling the next.
    Then I just put them in my luggage with no worries. The boots however are wet and heavier and won't dry quickly.They need to go into a garbage bag or bags - I like the heavy duty contractor type bags -and placed in the duffle bag. One big consideration is he overall weight of your luggage and the airline wt. limit. The wet boots can push you over the limit.

I fish Alaska every fall and we always have to leave enough leeway for the return trip in terms of the wet gear and th 50lb limit per bag -- especially if it is a rainy year.

+ Reply to Thread