+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this a Brown Trout?

Hybrid View

Default Is this a Brown Trout?

I was visiting a small southern California stream back in the spring and photographed some of the residents. Although my yearlong California Adventure has been over for months and I may never return to this stream, I?ll just call it Bonita Creek. It's a shame that I found this during my last week in California, after my fishing license had expired.

Bonita Creek.jpg

Upon returning home, I noticed that one of the pictures was clearly NOT a Rainbow Trout, the typical fish of most of the area streams. At the time, I assumed it was a Brown trout. A recent review of my pictures however, made me raise my eyebrow as I noticed a very distinct white edge on one of the lower fins.

Trout resized.jpg

Is this just a Brown Trout with some light hitting it in a strange way, or is this a hybrid? I am uncertain whether there are Brook Trout present in this stream; they don't seem to be mentioned in the limited literature I can find on it.

Browns constitute 90% of my catch around here and that certainly looks like a brown trout to me. That said, it's hard to get a clear picture of a fish underwater and fish do vary quite a bit in coloration, so I could be wrong.

Looks like a hybrid - tiger trout - brook trout/brown trout mix. From the black and white on the fins and the variegation on the dorsal. Can't say for sure, but that's what it looks like to me.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I am guessing it's a brown trout, and have seen quite a few with the white and dark (not really black) edging on the fins. I think the distortion from the water ripples makes it look sort of like a tiger trout. Small stream trout sure get some nice colors though!

I too suspect that this is just a Brown Trout, but wanted to post the picture to see whether this type of fin coloration is typical on Browns. I've never caught a Brown Trout before.

I also know that everyone like a good post with pictures.

That is a Brown. The DF&G here in CA, at one time, stocked Tiger Trout out of the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery, in Independence, CA in Eastern Sierra waters. That was a long time ago and Tiger Trout (cross between a Brown and a Brookie ) are incapable of breeding.

This is a little Brown that came from an Western Sierra slope tributary not far from LA...really bright red spotting...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 11-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Waskeyc.

I live In Oregon just a few miles from California. This summer I spent a lot of time fishing in Northern Cal which is a long way from your pretty creek. While searching Northern Cal I found that contact with the California Department of Fish and Game to be helpful in identifying what species of fish were in the waters I was searching. Perhaps you could contact them for info. California Department of Fish and Game. 866-440-9530. WWW.dfg.ca.gov.
    I would guess a brown trout. Good luck. Tim

+ Reply to Thread